Author Topic: What handguns can you own in Massachusetts???  (Read 603 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
What handguns can you own in Massachusetts???
« on: April 29, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »
This may be a dumb question;but I was surfing around and I ran on a sight off of a link from "Casull Arms".The guy was saying it was non-Mass. approved handgun.Along with a WHOLE bunch of other handguns.I knew Mass. was "tuff" on a lot of guns,but my God!!I would really like to know what handguns you can own there.It's for darn sure,none of my handguns would be..........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
What handguns can you own in Massachusetts?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »
You can own most handguns here in Massachusetts with a few exceptions. The basic thing is that the Atty General in 1998 passed those moronic rules thus any handgun here before October of 1998 is legit.

As an example, you can buy a used TC Contender or Encore as long as it was in the state prior to 10/98 . I'd love to own a G2 but I can only get one if it is a carbine or rifle, not handgun.

I can buy a Freedom Arms Casull but it had to have been in the state prior to 10/98. WHat this has done is created an artificial scarcity, thus the prices have escalated artificially.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »
Hi,

Check out www.fsguns.com
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:09:53 AM »
As noted, guns already registered in the state before 1998 are OK; and there are some newer guns that are OK (as listed on the Attorney General's List).  Basically, the AG decided that guns must have certain safety features (like a loaded-chamber indicator) and/or pass certain safety tests (drop test?).  Various manufacturers didn't want to bother with making the necessary changes or otherwise put up with Mass's rules, so they just pulled out of the market altogether.  It's kind of like when some foreign carmakers decided that keeping up with US requirements was too much trouble and withdrew from the US market.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:54:27 AM »
Basically anything that doesn't look like ted kennedy's car............... JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:48:58 AM »
I might be totally wrong, but I thought I read this at one time.  A lot of the regulations Mass has are not that much different than Calif., but Calif defined the rules to point that the manufacturers could understand and meet them where Mass. just made vauge laws without definition.  So the gun companies decided it was not worth it, since it was not clear what the law was.

Anyone else heard this?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 05:50:09 PM »
:cb2: I think SuperSoakers are still legal. As long as the water passes all state health department guidelines for safety.  :eek:

And if your name ends with "Kennedy" alcohol can be substituted for water.  :)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »
Well if you think this is something try getting a licence to carry...Jim