Author Topic: cutting cases to lengths  (Read 531 times)

Offline M8ball

• Trade Count: (0)
cutting cases to lengths
« on: May 06, 2006, 07:36:33 AM »
What's the preferred method to cut down cases after reforming?  I saw a photo in a Redding catalog that showed a case that had the shoulder moved way back , and then a finished case is shown next to it that has obviously had the too-long neck cut down.  I figure a fellow could use a lathe-type case trimmer, but it seems that would take forever to do it that way.  What do you guys use?

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
cutting cases to lengths
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »
Well, it depends on how much you need to cut. If we are talking more then 1/4" then use a copper tubing cutter, or you can buy what is called a trim die, it is basicly a die cut to caliber that allows the excess neck to stick out of the hole, you use a hacksaw to cut off the excess and trim the rest of the way to length. Otherwise just use a trimmer. What caliber are you making? Sometimes it is less hassle to just buy the stuff, or we may be able to make it for you.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline M8ball

• Trade Count: (0)
cutting cases to lengths
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 05:57:01 PM »
Hello again Ron.

This is still background research for my 25-221 wildcat project I was pestering you guys about earlier.  I bought a bag of 222 Rem brass to mess with but I know that I'll have to amputate a good portion of the neck after moving the shoulder back.

I had thought about using a trim die, but since it's a wildcat it would be more trouble than it's worth to go that route.  But I like the copper tubing cutter.  I'll have to give that one a try.  I've seen regular pipe cutters, but never a tubing cutter.  For a thin-walled item like a cartridge case, how do you keep from distorting the neck while you cut the neck down?

P.S. Any word from Fred at Z-hat?

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
cutting cases to lengths
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:10:23 AM »
For major cutting jobs a die grinder with a cut off wheel works best. Tubing cutters mess up the end and you can't get the pilot from a lathe type trimmer in the necks.