Author Topic: Hurricanes made for the best darn Deer Seasons ever...  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Hurricanes made for the best darn Deer Seasons ever...
« on: April 29, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »
For two years every chance I got to go to "the property" I would hitch up the tractor, bush hog, trailer and truck then set out for the 1/2 hour ride.  For two years every time I went (5 X each year) it was too wet to plow.  Got the truck stuck real good one time too.  Neighbor pulled me out (2nd time for that).

The hurricanes made life here real interesting.  First four in one year and then one the next.  It stayed too wet to plow, but the leveling effect of the hurricane was to blow the tops off of the canopy vegetation and most of the understory leaves off of the trees letting the sunlight reach the ground for the first time in heaven knows how long.  

For these last two wet years we have not had one cover crop, one clearing (that God himself didn't make), or one feeder that worked but we have had the very BEST hunting in 16 years of ownership.  

There are latent seeds in the ground, distributed by birds and forest critters that spring to life when given the right circumstances and a little sunlight.  The deer tend to prefer these native forbes and corms better than the store bought kind.

Go figure.  

Land Owner
-------------
If it was easy, anyone could do it...

Offline Hunter Mann

• Trade Count: (0)
Hurricanes made for the best darn Deer Seas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:34:51 AM »
Living in Northern Michigan, we don't get many hurricanes whipping across the great lakes.

Did the hurricane do anything to remove and of the top soil, or did the soil structure stay pretty much in tact? I would think that it eroded it all, but I guess your say different.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
Soils were pretty well left intact.  The heavy rainfalls, distributed over weeks, following one storm after another saturated the ground.  There was nowhere in the soil for the rainfall to percolate, so the river rose and the land stayed wet.  The thick vegetation absorbed the tendency to erode the soils.  Shoot, there is very little relief to our FLAT lands in Florida, so waterborne velocity is not the issue for us as it may be for you.

I just read part of your satirical piece for "land management" and have to admit, I am getting there pretty much as you suggest.  It takes money and time, especially time, to migrate a fallow property into a Mecca for wildlife.  I am not spending the money or taking the time, although I am trying.  Sometimes natural events get in the way too, but apathy, children, spouse, house, mortgage, work, and you know the rest take their toll on motivation and loss of momentum toward what is really wanted.

I can say that I have instituted a more rigorous approach this year and started in April instead of late September.  I am making progress too, on my own, as my hunting partner and dear friend has emphysema and can barely take 100 paces before being out of breath.  Be that as it may, bush hogging wild grape vines in one of what long ago was a meadow (long prior to my ownership) is an attempt to "clear cut" with the tractor, disc, and plow...

...which brings me to an interesting subject for another post - the disc harrow.

Land Owner
If it was easy, anybody could do it."[/b]

Offline Hunter Mann

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:13:16 AM »
We didn't really get serious about improving our hunting property until 2003. Up to then we dabbled in a food plot here and a food plot there. But we didn't really see results until we got serious. Serious meaning that we started studying to find out where we went wrong. There are some great books out there that will realy help.

We throw about $600 a year into our project. Time is the most limiting factor. That and documenting everything you do. We actually started a journal that we could reference.

We then turned the journal into my homepage website. It's pretty darn extensive. The link is in my signature. Check it out. It's all good, and it's all up for discussion.

We are in the process this year of thickening everything up. It's gotten waaaaay to sparse and open.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »
Documentation.  Ha.  You are not married to a CPA.  EVERYTHING gets documented for IRS purposes.  

And dollars per project?  I'm sitting at a couple thousand this year alone:
a.)  R&R 16-blade disc harrow $250.00 (maintained = 10 year diminishing amortization) say $50.00 to this season alone;
b.)  clear and grub - $1,000.00 (maintained = 20+ year amort.) say $200.00 this season;
c.)  "used" 6' Bush Hog $200.00 good buy (maintained = 5 year amortization) $50.00 to this season;
d.)  lime ~$750.00 for 22 tons spread (5 years?) say $250.00 this season;
e.)  fertilizer ~$200.00 this season;
f.) seed ~$200.00 this season;

Total ~$2,600.00 and counting (or ~$950.00 this season to diminish annually thereafter with maintenance and perseverence).

And don't forget time.  The one thing I can devote with passion and persistence.

Land Owner
If it was easy, anybody could do it![/i]

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »
Quote from: Land_Owner

a.)  R&R 16-blade disc harrow $250.00 (maintained = 10 year diminishing amortization) say $50.00 to this season alone;
b.)  clear and grub - $1,000.00 (maintained = 20+ year amort.) say $200.00 this season;
c.)  "used" 6' Bush Hog $200.00 good buy (maintained = 5 year amortization) $50.00 to this season;
d.)  lime ~$750.00 for 22 tons spread (5 years?) say $250.00 this season;
e.)  fertilizer ~$200.00 this season;
f.) seed ~$200.00 this season;

Total ~$2,600.00 and counting

If it was easy, anybody could do it![/i]

Quality deer population and hunting with friends and family = priceless :)

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:19:03 PM »
Amen Brother, amen.  I have two sons at home 14 and 10.  Fish fear them.  Neither has connected with big game.  This year we remedy that!

Land Owner
If it was easy, anybody could do it!