Author Topic: colt python .38  (Read 407 times)

Offline timjberkley

• Trade Count: (0)
colt python .38
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »
I recently acquired a Colt Python .38 with and 8 inch barrel, it looks like it's almost brand new, does anyone have any idea about the worth of the gun??

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
colt python .38
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:30:38 PM »
That's a rare bird (OK snake)  :-D  indeed. I think I've seen a total of one of them in my entire life. I'm not sure how many were made in .38 Special but not a lot. Fewer than a thousand for sure, almost certainly fewer than 500 and I've heard it was less than half that.

I'm no expert on Colt prices but I'd say it's worth at least double the price of a .357 Magnum to a collector as long as it stays in like new condition. If it were new with box and unfired I'd hate to guess at the premium it might bring to a collector.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
colt python .38
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:27:16 PM »
Looking at the gun traders guide, a pythin in ex condition is anywhere from $510- $806, depending on the finish, though I'm sure with the .38, you would be looking at a higher real world price.

Gun traders guide was one of the best $13 I've spent.  If you can get more details I'll look it up for you.

The finishes are:
Blue
Royal Blue
Nickel
Stainless
Ultimate Stainless

and there are also hunter and silhouette models, couldn't tell you differences between royal and ultimate and such though, probably "Purdier"
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
colt python .38
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 02:55:59 AM »
Around here Pythons (any Python) have always sold for a lot more than book lists them at. Can't speak to how they sell in other areas but here you'll just about never find one for blue book price. I don't personally think they are worth it but a lot of folks do.

I let my last one go when a dealer offered me more for it used than I had paid for it new in box and that was a LOT of years ago.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!