Author Topic: First handgun  (Read 661 times)

Offline Harley Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
First handgun
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:26 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Greg and I am new to the forum.

I am in the market to buy my first hand gun and I am looking at either a .357 or .38 and only have about $300 to $350 to spend and was wondering what would be a good manufactur for that price range.

I will be purchasing this more for personal protection when my wife and I are camping so it will be in our 5th wheel. Would prefer a handgun with a 2" barrel.

Thanks Greg

Offline Questor

First handgun
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »
Harley Ed:

Consider buying a used revolver. You should easily be able to get one that fits your budget. My recommendation is that you use 357 magnum because it's a defense gun. 4" barrel because that's a good practical length for a defense gun. Manufacturers include Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus.   They're all good for what you're doing.  Stainless steel is easier to maintain.
Safety first

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
reply to harley greg
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
Questor got it right, a good used gun is a smart way to think.  Unless you absolutely have to have a 2" gun, get a 4".  They offer more power, and are alot easier to shoot well, ALOT easier.  This is from someone that has carried a 2" S&W for about 12 years.  Good luck!

Offline DutchV

• Trade Count: (1)
First handgun
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:40:32 PM »
You'd only want a 2" barrel if you need to conceal the revolver on your person.  A 4" makes more sense if it'll be in a nightstand.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
First handgun
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:28:19 PM »
Good for you :D  Get some training(you and your wife( it will be time well spent :wink:

Offline Harley Greg

First handgun
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »
Hey thanks for the advice guys. I purchased a new Rossi s.s. .357 mag with the 2" barrel at a local outdoors store for $275 , Plus a box of 38 shells and .357 shells for practice and a box of 20 Personal protection shells. Haven't been able to shoot it yet since we we're gone all weekend.

I didn't go with the 4" barrel because my wife is quite small and the weight
was a big issue for her. If she has a hard time with this gun I will have to buy her something smaller. Any suggestions.

Greg

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
First handgun
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
again,  unless she is going to carry this gun,  you are thinking all wrong.  the shorter the barrel and the lighter the gun is,  the harder it is going to  be for her to shoot it because the recoil has to go somewhere,  and she is going to absorb it now.  a heavier gun recoils less than a light one in a given caliber all other things being equal.  

i am guessing by your post that the weight while holding it is a concern; it shouldnt be.  if she is that weak that she cant hold up a gun because of and extra 2" of barrel, you have bigger concerns than potential threats to you while camping.    i am not trying to be a smart aleck,  just telling it how it is.  again, if you are intending to carry it all day,  different story.  but if it is a "nightstand gun"  you are way further ahead with the 4 inch barrel.

Offline Harley Greg

First handgun
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
myronman3, thanks for the clarification. We actually went out and shot it using 38s and she really enjoyed shooting it and had no problems with the recoil :D . She's never really shot any guns before and was really not interested in shooting until tonight :shock: . Went thru a box of shells and now she wants me to buy a few more boxes :eek:.

I really wasn't worried about the recoil as much as the fact that she has small hands and I thought she would have a problem pulling the hammer back. Found out that she has no problems handling and shooting at all. Guess I was just being a worry wart. If things keep up like this I might be able to buy a few more handguns and start adding to my personal collection :wink: , which is pretty small right now.

Offline Harley Greg

First handgun
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 04:00:07 PM »
myronman3, thanks for the clarification. We actually went out and shot it using 38s and she really enjoyed shooting it and had no problems with the recoil :D . She's never really shot any guns before and was really not interested in shooting until tonight :shock: . Went thru a box of shells and now she wants me to buy a few more boxes :eek:.

I really wasn't worried about the recoil as much as the fact that she has small hands and I thought she would have a problem pulling the hammer back. Found out that she has no problems handling and shooting at all. Guess I was just being a worry wart. If things keep up like this I might be able to buy a few more handguns and start adding to my personal collection :wink: , which is pretty small right now.