Author Topic: WINTERIZING A MOBILE HOME WITH PEX WATER LINES  (Read 1439 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
WINTERIZING A MOBILE HOME WITH PEX WATER LINES
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:59:35 PM »
I was wondering if I could remove the water from the water lines by hooking up a small air compressor to the main line out of the pressure tank that feed the hot water heater.The line that comes from the  pressure tank is PVC 3/4" was thing to add a T then a ball value for air supply,first would empty the hot water tank then close the tank ,then open all facuets and turn on the air supply which will be going into the hot water tank also open all outside facuets..What do you guys think??

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: WINTERIZING A MOBILE HOME WITH PEX WATER LINES
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:32:29 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me.  I know up north it is common for landscape companies to purge in-ground sprinkler systems with air in a similar fashion.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:35:36 AM »
Thats how my father-in-law does his motor home ea. year, I just make sure that I get all the water drained thru the low end valve designed to remove ALL water from system then just run the pump a few minutes to clear all the lines leave every thing open and if any water drops are left evaporation will remove it a little windshield washer fluid in the P traps and never had a problem. ;)  JIM

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:44:19 AM »
I have no choice but to blow air into the hot water heater at hope it will blow the lines out,I would not have this problem if th double wide had copper or pvc lines,this new pex plastic lines are a pain in the butt,the tool to crimp the pex lines run over a $120.00 bucks.
My idea was to empty the hot water tank first,then close the drain on the hot water tank,then open all facuets then open the ball value  and pump air into the tank: I don't think I can damage the hot water heater as long as there is a build up of air that will feed threw the lines.???I did purchase the T and the ball value think cost was $6.00 bucks better then $120.00 plus for the special crimping tool.I think it may take a little time to bleed the ysytem only reason the air will have to fill the tank and then travel threw the water lines,I think it will work.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »
Several types of anti-freeze are on the markey for use in the water system of mothrhomes/travel trailers.  I am sure it could also be used in a mobil home.  You start by blowing the water out by air, them fill the line with the anti-freeze, it is also forced through the system with air pressure.  I start at the water storage tank, fill it, then force anti-freeze through each line until it is running pure out of each faucet.  The run-off is trapped inb the p-trap and prevents it from freezing.  Don't forget to add anti-freeze to the black water and gray water holding tanks as well.  When you get ready to use the RV/mobil home again, just flush with fresh water until it is running clear.

If in doubt, consult any mobil home or RV sales/service center.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »
Aren't there two types of fittings for PEX?  One uses the tool and I think there is one that screws together...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:22 PM »
   Rockbilly is correct, that antifreeze is available at RV dealers and is made of some type of vegetable fluid, so it is safe for potable water lines.

Lonewolf; if you want to install permanent fittings, you should not have to BUY the installing tool. I used to work part-time at a hardware/outdoor sports store. We sold the fittings and then rented the tool out at $10 per day, $5 for just a half day ..

Call around, someone in your area must do that , can't expect someone to shell out $120 for a tool to do a 20 minute job once every 10 years.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)