Author Topic: What WOuld you do???  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
What WOuld you do???
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
I am facing a problem and wonder what you all would do. I have a Walther 380 which I can shot like nobody else. Rapid fire, 10, 25 yards it doesn't matter. I can do it with this gun. I am worried that this caliber maybe too small to carry. I have a Kahr pm 9 and Micro compact 45 ACP. Would you carry a gun that can make a big hole somewhere in the chest area or a gun that you can plant every round right in the pump. I would like to hear you input, mainly from people in law enforcement that have seen the results of gun trauma victims.

Thanks
 :D

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
What WOuld you do???
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:20:57 PM »
Where's the popcorn? :)
Carry what you can shoot :wink:

Offline single action

• Avid Poster
What WOuld you do???
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »
I am not law enforcement anymore but I work as a street medic, have for the last 20 years or so. I have seen people killed with everything from a .17 cal to a 10 guage shotgun. They were all just as dead. While I prefer my .45, shoot what you can hit with. Large holes are nice but they dont count if they are not in your attacker. I would rather have small holes in the enemy than large ones in the air around him. Good luck.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
What WOuld you do???
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:27:08 AM »
Ghostrider_23:  if you can shoot your Walther that well then carry it.  I used the 380 for a number of years and it works, period.  Don't let anyone tell you it is underpowered for a back-up or carry piece, as it is not.  I have always advocated for a gun that you can shoot well rather than one you cannot.  If you can hit that well with the 380, but not the others, then that Walther should be with you.  And the 380 will do the job for you when you need it - it carries the same rules as any other caliber:  keep shooting until your assailant is down.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline S.S.

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:53:07 AM »
With an expanding bullet, there is nothing wrong
with a .380 for defense. Use what you shoot the best!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Ghostrider_23

Thanks guys
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 12:09:36 PM »
Thank you all for the advise. :toast:  I hear some many people say no one hole anywhere with a 45 in the chest is better than a bunch of 380 rounds.  :blaster: I think I will carry it for my defense gun. What type of ammo would you all recommend for a Walther PPKS.  :excuseme:

Once again Thanks
 :bye:

Offline williamlayton

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 01:03:38 AM »
Here are some thoughts--first, however, I have carried a PPK in my pocket for 40 years or so, long before it was legal.
There is no question-period- that a .45 is a better sure fire stopper.
There is no question that you could learn to shoot it just as well as the PPK.
You could be in a position that would have need to be settled and if yoy had a .45 that would be the better choice.
Weather and dress will go a long way in dictating if you can conceal a .45 of any size.
I would rather have the PPK than nothing, and, often do and have for a long time. It makes no difference to the boys what you are carrying illegally, if you take it in the context of the time or if today you are caught not concealing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jimster

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
Sounds like you are real comfortable with your Walther.
In a pinch, or under stress, it would serve you well.
You could get that way with another gun, after many rounds of practice, but if your comfy with the .380, and can hit with it all the time, I'd carry that one. Confidence in what you can do with your gun means a lot under stress.

Offline jhm

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 03:26:10 AM »
Carry the one you can shoot the best, no matter the cal.  I would be willing to bet that the majority of people are carrying guns of a caliber that is too large for them to accurately shoot, and like everyone else has said the holes in the air do vary little. :D    JIM

Offline Old Griz

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 04:03:26 AM »
:cb2: Since where you're at you willnot have to worry about shooting through heavy layers of clothing, I'd say the underrated .380 is just fine.

I see you're by my favorite fishing hole, Lake Okeechobee. Sure have had a lot of fun there, especially in the rim canal.

(I'd still practice with the .45!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
What WOuld you do???
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »
Two quick thoughts........bad guys are not afraid of guns as much as they are afraid of resolute citizens who have made it clear that if the transgressions do not cease, there WILL be gunfire.  In about 90% of the occasions where a defensive handgun is displayed, there is no need to shoot, it ends right there.

The second thought is that if you're confident with your sidearm, you will prevail.  Just remember that if you HAVE to shoot, keep shooting until the threat is OVER.  But in the vast majority of incidents, just having a gun is half the battle!  Nothing beats good practice and confidence with your weapon!  Just the same, I carry backup ammo, and lots of it.  Better to have it and not need it.......

I'm limited to a 38 on duty, but I shoot several times a month, and have a lot of faith in my ability with my poor old antique Smith & Wesson Model Ten.  It wasn't obsolete in 1961 when it was made, and it still isn't.  As the old timers say, "It's the singer, not the song!"

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dusty Miller

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 04:48:12 PM »
"That big ole' ex-con really beat the snot out of Billy 'fore he killd'm but by God Billy did hit him with 10 rounds COM with that .380 auto he packed. And I do believe that if Billy'd had enough time for a reload he cudda hit him with ten more."
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Old Griz

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 06:17:26 PM »
:cb2: Sorry, dumb question time. COM?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Jon_E

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 01:47:09 AM »
Quote from: Old Griz
:cb2: Sorry, dumb question time. COM?

Griz  "Center Of Mass"
Jon

Lifes funny.... you can sleep off a drunk, but you cant sleep off ugly.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
What WOuld you do???
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:09:44 AM »
Ghostrider,

Regarding your question about ammo; I would recommend the Speer Short barrel stuff that is our there.  Its engineered to develop the highest amout of muzzle velocity out of short barrels.  Buy a box and make sure it feeds with no problems.

Good luck!

Chuck :cb1:

Offline Old Griz

What WOuld you do???
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »
:cb2: Thanks Jon. Talk about not being the sharpest knife in the drawer . . . well, they put me in with the spoons!  :eek:
Griz
<*}}}><