Author Topic: KIMBER  (Read 754 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
KIMBER
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »
Specifically the pro-carry HD II, however; a general discussion of Kimber is appropriate.
I have been looking for a .38 super, well not looking but studying the situation. I have seen offererings by Colt, SA, Kimber and Kahr. the Kahr may not be offered any longer.
I was kinda taken by the Kimber offering in the pro-carry as it is a commander sized weapon.
I like my Sig 239 and the caliber, .38 super, would seem to be an advantage on this frame. It is not offered in anything other than full sized in the others.
I have a need to get a feeling from you boys on the pros and cons of this weapons manuf. in specifics.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

KIMBER
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
:D Homecooking, the Dallas Cowboys and Kimber pistols, the three most over rated things I can think of.

Kimber makes an alright product, but I think they are grossly over rated for the price you pay.  I have two of them, a Super Match in .45, and a Combat Carry in .40.  When it comes to reliability, I wouldn't trade one Sig for both of them,  Both guns have jam problems, I have spent a ton of money buying new magazines to see if I could correct the problem, to no avail.  The .40 was bought new, the .45 I picked up used.  The .40 has spent more time in the US Mail than in my safe. :roll:

Stick with the Sig if your butt is on the line.......... :wink:

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
KIMBER
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
I have owned one Kimber, a 5" stainless combat model , and she runs like a top. I gave her to my son when he got his master's degree. He had long admired that 1911. He still has the pistol, which is the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned. I have shot numerous other Kimber 1911s, and have found them to be well made, accurate, and reliable pistols. There is a reason why Kimber sells more 1911 pistols than any other manufacturer!

Offline Questor

KIMBER
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:42 PM »
I partially disagree with the earlier post about Kimbers being over-rated. I believe that is true for certain models because they exceed the value of any 1911. But other models are quite a bargain for what you pay. The ones you see advertised are typically their most expensive models. Just look at the whole product line and you'll find products without peer.
Safety first

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
KIMBER
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
Agree with the previous post.  I own two Kimbers.  One is an Ultra Carry II which I picked up used and is my carry weapon.  The second is a Tactical Custom II which I bought brand new - it was a good price.  For the money you just can't beat the quality.  I've run everything through both pistols: Cheap Russian stuff to some of the best self-defense ammo money can buy.  I've even run SWC reloads without fail.  I would add a third to my collection if I wasn't already committed to a project gun I've been working on.
 :cb1:

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
KIMBER
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:28 AM »
I also own a KIMBER Ultra Carry.  Great pistol!  Shoots great and carries great.  I believe I got what I paid for.  I have never had a problem, even during the 500 round "break in period". :excuseme:

Tbull
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline rockbilly

KIMBER
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:46:16 AM »
:D I retrire effective 1 Jun 06.  When that occurs, we plan to sell most everything we own and travel for a couple of years until we are ready to settle down.  One of the things I must do is reduce the size of my gun collection, I want to get down to one safe so the remaining guns can be stored at my sons place.  During this clean out, auction, sale or whatever we decide to do, there will be three guns with the Kimber name first on the block.  Two are those I mentioned above, the other is a sportrized 96 Swed they butchered.  As I said, I have not had a good experience with them, don't trust them, and will not own another one :(

Offline CharlieinKansas

KIMBER
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:40:51 PM »
I have a KIMBER CUSTOM II ( w/internal extractor ) mfg. 03/02, this is the low end pistol on the scale. It has never jammed or had any problems feeding or extracting. Whatever I feed it, it chews it up and spits it out at point of aim, dead on.
 I really like this pistol more than any of my others, Glock, Ruger,etc.
Beware of the man whom owns but one rifle, He more than likely knows how to use it.

Offline Questor

KIMBER
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 01:26:43 AM »
Rockbilly:

I firmly believe that some people are just not meant to own certain brands of gun. In my case they are Rugers, in your case it seems like Kimbers.

Good luck on your upcoming travels. Are you going to do it in an RV of some kind? I'm looking ahead to a similar period of travels.  There's a book I recently read the full-time RV'ing book in the link below:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071377247/sr=8-6/qid=1148123821/ref=sr_1_6/103-9787895-6884632?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It was a very helpful book that gets down to the realities and the costs. There's no sugar coating. There are several books with similar titles. I just happened on this one at the library. This one seemed like truly good advice.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

KIMBER
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
:D Questor.  We have a 36 foot triple slide Montana fifth wheel, I tow with a F-250 FX4 Crewcab Diesel (for now).  We have done quite a bit of traveling during my vacation time over the past few years, and now plan to go full time.  However my plans will be delayed for a while while getting my houses ready to sale.  I hope no longer than six monthe, but I have three houses to make ready and plan to do most of the work myself.  My CPA tells me I will be better off selling the houses and putting the money in CDs, he said at my age there will be no capitol gains taxes, and the savings on insurance and taxes wach year will amount to enough to enough to cover the travels.

We have several friends that retired and now RV full time, they have been all over with a group of people they met wintering in soiuth Texas.  We plan to hook up with them, it's more fun in a group, and you have someone to assist or look out for you if necessary.

Might see ya on the roads in New Mexico..... :wink:

Offline Dusty Miller

KIMBER
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 06:13:58 PM »
And, ITS A LOT MORE FUN IF YOU TAKE YOUR KIMBER ALONG!!  :)  Hey, my CDP II is VERY accurate and I'd trust my life to it anytime.  My Colt Commander is a good gun but when push comes to shove I want that Kimber in my hand.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline rockbilly

KIMBER
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 07:31:34 AM »
:D DM.  Thanks, but I'll stick with my Sig.  Problem with traveling, a lot of states will hang you out to dry if caught with a handgun.  I don't mind taking a chance in the USA, but we are planning a trip across Canada and will not take a firearm of any type.

Rolling down the highways in America, there is always a 12 gauge riot gun with eight rounds of 00 in the trailer, a Sig 220, .45, and my wife's gun (like a purse, you never know which one she wants, but it is either a Mauser HSc, (she bpught it in Germany), a PPK, or her Lady Smith in .357) the hand guns go from the cab to the trailer as we do.

Several years ago, I bought a copy of "Traveler's Guide To The Firearm Laws Of The Fifty States,"  I don't worry about most states, but according to what I have read, Massachusetts, California and Illinois worry me the most.  I don't plan to spend a long period of time in any of them, but will take my chances, and hope for a good lawyer if I do ever have to use a gun for protection. :wink:

You need a Sig in the hand, when your bacon is in the pan! :-D  :)  :D

Offline aaronrkelly

KIMBER
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II chambered in .45acp.  Been 100 percent reliable so far, admittingly I dont shoot alot.  Has 1K rounds thru it so far - NO failures.

They have a hit or miss reputation with the external extractor models.  Some swear by them, some swear AT them.  They are starting to replace the more troublesome external extractor models with internal extractors......

Mine is internal extractor.  

I think they are great guns....I caught mine on sale, gave $575 for it brand new in the box.  Couldnt pass it up for that price.  Im not sure I would give $1k+ for one but I had no problems plunking down 6 big ones.

Its been my daily carry piece for since Nov 2004 with only 3 changes

night sights
VZ Gator Grips
Wilson Combat magazines