Author Topic: Taurus 44 Magnum Revolvers  (Read 765 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Taurus 44 Magnum Revolvers
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:55:21 AM »
Who has the Taurus 44 mag? Either the Raging Bull or the standard revolver? How do they hold up and have you run quite a few full power loads through them?
shot placement is everything.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:19:54 AM »
I have a 7 year old Taurus M-44 mag 8 3/8" SS. This revolver has been great, several hundreds of rounds (full magnum loads to) without any problems at all. Accuracy is amazing, way more accurate than I could ever shoot it. I have shot Smith, Colt and Ruger 44 mags but I couldn't shoot any of those nearly as well as I shoot my Taurus. I like this gun so much I went and bought another Taurus but this one is a PT-92 semi auto. This Taurus has so far proven to be a good one as well.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »
That is what I was hoping to hear. I have been a fan of Taurus guns for years. I recently purchased the 44 Mag Ultralite titanium Taurus. It has the double lock up like the Raging Bull. It is pleasant to shoot with 44 special loads and light Magnum loads but gets uncomfortable pretty fast with full power loads. It does however only weigh 28 Oz. This makes for really portable power that you can carry all day without hardly knowing that its there. I have not really got a chance to shoot it yet for accuracy but will soon. I love the Ultralite but I don't want to hammer it with constant full power loads. Thanks for the reply.
shot placement is everything.

Offline hoggunner

• Avid Poster
    • 4A's Personal Protection Training
great gun
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:19:16 AM »
I have a RB and love it very accurate and comfortable to shoot. with a holo site on it i can knock bowling pins down at 100 yrd. most fun i have had at the range in a long time.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:01:43 AM »
Hey Marylandeer...I have BOTH of those guns too!  My raging bull (blued) with the 8 3/8" barrel has been my primary deer gun for the past 3 years.  I've dropped deer in their tracks out to 50 yards with the open sights.  I LOVE IT!  I replaced the rosewood grips with Hogue and am not afraid to shoot "HOT" rounds through it.

I also like Taurus so much, I bought the PT-92 about 3 months ago.  I can't see paying the extra money for the Baretta name.  My 92 is stainless with the gold trim.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
James - two problems to watch out for with your ultralite that I ran into:  If it seems like the hammer is getting tough to pull back, or it gets tough in DA, the hammer spring pin washer can slip out of place, causing the pin to rub.  Also the firing pin ring can slip out, causeing both the pin and the spring to be able to pop out right behind the cylinder, why it's an extra piece on this gun, no idea, you can take the pin and spring out from the back, so why from the front?

The first problem I fixed by shoving the washer into place pretty hard.  The second I fixed with a tiny bit of JB Weld.  I have had no problems since these.  There was a few spots rubbing inside the action, which I used some sand paper and steel wool to fix.  

I also own a RB, and am a huge fan, no problems with this gun.  It's in a .454 Casull and will handle the hottest of loads.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."