Author Topic: Armed hiking a.ka. hunting  (Read 1005 times)

Offline F-F-Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
Armed hiking a.ka. hunting
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:09:17 AM »
Have any of you heard of the expression "Armed Hiking?"

Well, my mother-in-law brought that up yesterday. It seems that is what her mother-in-law calls her husband and his hunting buddies. They have been going hunting for years and have never brought back anything but dirty clothes and muddy boots. So she started to call them Armed Hikers since that's all they ever do now. I thought it was pretty funny because it's been awhile since I've bagged anything. Oh, some of my friends have but not often. Heck it makes sense.

But all in all I do enjoy hiking around with a rifle in my arms.

Armed Hiking!!!!! I love it!!!!
I'm Yanqui.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »
Ha!  Every time I go out hiking I'm packing.  Usually for bears, but then I think about it, and I have a bear gun and a small pistol for birds/rabbits.  I think anytime I have the chance to have wild game for dinner, I'll take it!  Reminds me of one time, I was back home, and went out bear hunting, climbed way up this ridge, and it was getting nice and sunny out.  Decided I would sit and glass for a little bit... that little bit turned out to be a 3 hour nap.  Told my old man about it, he now refers to my bear hunting as, "bear napping"   :)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 02:55:57 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Guys - armed hiking is what I do most of the time.  I use it as a good excuse to think I'm out there huntin' up something for dinner but most often I am just enjoying the great outdoors and dang glad I can go armed in my own defense in the process.  And yes, 'napping' is almost a prerequisite thought built into every hike (lolol).  I just hope that while I'm napping some bigfoot doesn't come along and scare the schmidt outta me..........Mikey.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »
I call it taking my guns out for a walk

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »
:D Sounds like a couple of the guys I wworked wwith.  They went fishing every week-end, even bought a big bass boat.  But when the stuff hit the fan, one of their wifes caught them in a motel with a couple of "ladies."  I think the wife got the bass boat in the divorce.......... :wink:

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
armed
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:11:01 AM »
I have done some effective "armed napping" after some lengthy armed hiking. I really enjoyed it!

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
i have a 454 but i leave it at home. my airhand gun walks with me a lot for snakes you know. my mom don't like me haveing in the back of my pants it might go off.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »
Armed hiking... :wink:   I didn't know there was any other way to do it! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 10:18:20 AM »
Having some of my youth left, me and my buddies still get laughed at when we go out fishing.  We will go into some of our favorite lakes armed to the teeth pistols, shotguns, and sometimes a rifle on there, fly rod and a spinning rod, and we each have a chainsaw to take care of the trails (lots of beetle kill, and also old dead trees no one else wants to deal with)  We get lots of the what in the world?!?!?  type of looks, like we are preparing to be attacked by the entire tree, trout, and bear population of Alaska at the same time!! :-D  :-D Of course this is only for one to three milers.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."