Author Topic: TWRA Recomendations for 2006-07 Hunting Season.  (Read 697 times)

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
TWRA Recomendations for 2006-07 Hunting Season.
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »
TWRA Proposes Changes to the
2006/07 Hunting Seasons

April 20, 2006

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission received the initial draft of hunting season proposals from the TWRA today during their regularly scheduled meeting. The proposals, along with supporting justifications, were outlined in a discussion between TWRA staff and Commission members. The Commission will not take any final action on the proposals until its next meeting on May 24-25 in Nashville. During the next month Commissioners will be reviewing the proposals in depth as well as listening to sportsmen who have opinions on the proposals.

A summary of the major proposed changes include (to view the entire "DRAFT" proclamation, please click on the subheading):

Manner and Means of Hunting and Trapping
Legalize all centerfire rifles for hunting deer, bear and boar (presently on .24 cal. and larger are legal). Allow hunters who have already filled their bag to accompany other hunters in the woods. Legalize Sudden Valley Supply trap pads for use on offset jaw traps. Allow hunting from a motor vehicle, provided the vehicle is stationary and you are on private property.

Furbearer Hunting and Trapping Seasons
Extend the otter trapping season in east TN to Jan 31.
Remove the river otter bag limit of four per season in east TN.

Big Game Hunting Seasons
Move Franklin and Smith counties to Unit L.
Increase or adjust quota and /or non-quota hunts in Anderson, Blount, Cumberland, DeKalb, Fentress, Hawkins, Houston, Knox, McMinn, Meigs, Overton, Rhea, Roane, Stewart, and Sullivan counties.
Redefine antlerless hunting boundaries in Anderson county.
Eliminate hog hunting with dogs in Greene, Unicoi, and Washington counties.
Add early season weekend bear hunts to Carter, Johnson, Polk, and Sullivan counties Add a bear dog training season on private lands in Blount, Carter, Johnson, Monroe, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington counties.
Add or increase fall turkey seasons in Decatur, Lawrence, Lewis, Marshall, Maury, Moore, Putnam, White, and Williamson counties.

Spring Turkey Seasons
Clarify bag limits - One bearded turkey per day, not to exceed four per season with no more than two per season on Wildlife Management Areas and Refuges except turkeys taken on all quota hunts are bonus turkeys.
WMA date changes and liberalizations.

Wildlife Management Areas - Changes from last year
All hunt dates on WMAs adjusted from last year to fit 2006 calendar.
Added four WMAs: Charlotte Ann Finnell Neal (Bradley County), Cummings Cove (Hamilton and Marion counties), The Boils (Jackson County), and Three Rivers (Obion County).
Removed three WMAs: Cove Mountain (Sevier County), Doe Mountain (Johnson County), and Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park (Benton County).
Prohibit the release or possession of pen raised game birds on WMAs unless otherwise specified.
AEDC WMA - Allow the use of air rifles for small game hunting except for migratory birds. Prohibit the use of rimfire and centerfire rifles and all handguns including muzzleloading pistols.
Bear Hollow Mountain - Split deer season into 12 hunts with a separate bag limit for each hunt. The antlered bucks count toward the statewide bag.
Cheatham Firing Range - Opens at noon and close one hour after sunset.
Cheatham Lake (Pardue Pond and Dyson Ditch Refuge) - Access by boat only.
Chickasaw State Forest - No antlerless deer may be taken during the Gun-Muzzleloader-Archery hunt on Chickasaw.
Edgar Evins State Park - Deleted the Safety Zone archery hunt.
Gallatin Steam Plant - Free Gallatin Steam Plant Permit required from TWRA Region II Office. Deer season same as statewide but closes Nov. 15.
C.M.Gooch - On Gooch Unit E, no waterfowl hunters allowed on the unit or access area from two hours after legal shooting hours have ended until 4:00 a.m. the following day during the late duck season(s). No permanent blinds. All decoys, temporary blinds, blind materials, and boats must be removed from Unit E daily.
Hiwassee Refuge - Dove: Sept. 1, 4. Noon to sunset only on Sept. 1. Viewing area open year-round.
Kyker Bottoms Refuge - Motorized vehicles and horseback riding prohibited.
Laurel Hill - Deer/Turkey (Archery): One 16-day hunt. Sept. 23-Oct. 8. No hunter quota. Three deer, either sex (bonus deer). Three turkey, either sex.
North Chickamauga Creek - Dove: (Hixson Unit) (Young Sportsman and Wheelchair-bound hunters only), each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday during the statewide season from noon till sunset only. Adult accompanying youth may also hunt. One assistant to wheelchair-bound hunter may hunt. Wheelchair-bound hunters may drive their vehicles directly to the field. (Varner and Rogers units), Sept. 2 and each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday during the statewide season. Hunting from staked positions only on Sept. 2. Staked positions will be assigned by a hand-held drawing on Aug. 26 at the Varner parking area. Signup for drawing will be from 8:30-11:30 a.m. Successful applicants must be at their assigned staked positions by noon on Sept. 2. Hunters must check-out at the conclusion of their hunt on Sept. 2. Only one hunter assigned per stake except adult hunters may be accompanied by a youth hunter. Bag limit 10.
Oak Ridge - Deer: Raised quotas and limits on most hunts. Canada Goose: Sept. 2, 9, closes at noon. Harvested geese must be checked out by 1:00 p.m.
Tellico Lake - Dog Training Seasons: McGhee Carson - Daylight hours only. Chota Refuge - Sept. 1-Oct. 31 and Feb. 15-Mar. 15. Dove: Niles Ferry - Sept. 4 and Sept. 9-10 Young Sportsman Only. Deer: Niles Ferry - Add to TWRA Quota Hunt drawing Deer Young Sportsman Hunt.
Three Rivers - Same as statewide hunting and trapping seasons. No waterfowl hunters allowed on unit or access area from two hours after legal shooting hours have ended until 4:00 a.m. the following day during late duck season(s). No permanent blinds. All decoys, temporary blinds, blind materials, and boats must be removed daily.
White Oak - Closed to Jan.13-14 Young Sportsmen Hunt. Waterfowl hunting closes at 3:00 p.m. (CST) during the late duck season(s) and all types of water traffic prohibited after 5:00 p.m. No waterfowl hunters allowed on the area from 5:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. the following day during the late duck season.
Yuchi at Smith Bend - Dog Training: Sept. 1-Mar 15 in Upland Zone. Sept. 1-Nov. 14 and Mar. 1-15 in Wetland Zone. Daylight hours only. No fox or coyote chasing.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
TWRA Recomendations for 2006-07 Hunting Sea
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:01:18 AM »
Looks good to me!  Now if they would change the no electronic game calls at night, and no center fire rifles at night law that would make a lot of coyote hunters happy!

We have far to many rules and regulations on  hunting and fishing in the state of Tennessee.  Over 50 pages of regulations for each.  To much Government IMO.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:07:28 AM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Looks good to me!  Now if they would change the no electronic game calls at night, and no center fire rifles at night law that would make a lot of coyote hunters happy!

We have far to many rules and regulations on  hunting and fishing in the state of Tennessee.  Over 50 pages of regulations for each.  To much Government IMO.

I agree neighbor. I would like to hunt coyotes at night as well. And did you notice the hunting out of a vehicle as long as you are on private property. I dont  have a problem with it, but plenty will. There are those that just cant get around anymore that would still like to enjoy some venison on the table. This will help those few still get out there and enjoy the hunt.

I will have to get a 223 barrel for my Handi now so my son can get his first deer next year, and I can use it for coyotes :)
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:23:14 AM »
What happens on private land shouldn't be any body's business.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 07:03:46 AM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
What happens on private land shouldn't be any body's business.

AMEN BROTHER!

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:42:42 PM »
thanks for posting that. I guess most of that looks like improvement. nice to keep up with what's going on in the promised land, even if I'm removed for a while.
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:20:15 PM »
:cb2:I have three different rifles for coyote hunting, but a friend of mine is having coyote problems on some Quails Unlimited property where rifles are not allowed. I suggested a shotgun with #4 buckshot. He was under the impression that you couldn't use buckshot on coyotes in Tennessee. Any of you other Volunteers know the scoop on this?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 02:03:35 AM »
Quote from: Old Griz
:cb2:I have three different rifles for coyote hunting, but a friend of mine is having coyote problems on some Quails Unlimited property where rifles are not allowed. I suggested a shotgun with #4 buckshot. He was under the impression that you couldn't use buckshot on coyotes in Tennessee. Any of you other Volunteers know the scoop on this?

Page 6 of the hunting guide deals with this.  Again the state has done a very good job of turning the water muddy on this subject.

Line 2 says possession of buckshot is prohibited for hunting all species.

Line 4 says possession of any shot larger than 4 is prohibited for all wildlife except water fowl, beaver and coyotes.

I'd suggest calling the TWRA office in your region, but there have been conflicting opinion regarding the law depending on who you talk to at the office.

That said, I'd ask the guy who was going to write the ticket, and the DA who would be the guy that would prosecute you should you get a ticket.

Seems things aren't that clear in the world we live in these days.......and every decision requires the government to stick it's nose in and assert it's authority, even if they don't know what the law is.

Again, if you have a talk with the game warden in your county, what's good with him is probably what matters.
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:45:03 AM »
What is #4 buckshot???  Are you talking about plain old #4 shot?  

As an FYI, when I moved to Tenn almost 50 years ago, the deer were few and far between, the seasons were short with a 1 buck limit.  Turkeys were practically non-existant.  When I left Tenn, a little over 20 years later, the deer season was long and the bag limit was liberal. (if I remember correctly, we could kill something like 10 deer) and turkeys were everywhere.  Apparently the TWRA is doing something right.

As far as private land, you own the land, the King owns the game.    :D

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:31:17 AM »
#4 Buckshot is a .24 caliber ball, much bigger than standard 4 shot.

Yes, I've got to agree that the TWRA has done an excellent job in growing deer and turkeys.  

I'd also have to say that they haven't done worth a crap at small game other than squirrels.  Almost no quail, and few rabbits.

The point I'm making is that when I was a kid, the hunting regulations would fit on a tri fold card and slide easily into a back pocket.  Now, there are so many regulations, and the wording is so unclear you need a lawyer to figure it out.

Also, it has been posted that Tennessee has one of the highest license fees in the country.  I'd personally would like to see the laws simplified, the department downsized and the license fees reduced because, as we know, when you put big money into it, waste and coruption soon follow.  I'm not sure a few anti-hunters haven't made there way into the department.

I guess that sounds negative, and I don't really mean it that way, but I would like to know how the department sets it goals, measures it's success and who it's accountable to.  I'd also like to know the 5 and 10 year plan.

Any government agency should contantly be under review.

I'd give them an A+ for big game, a D for small game, A B+ for fish and an F for fee's and administration.

Again, you are correct.....the game belongs to the king......enforced by the sheriff of Nothingham........Poor ole Robin Hood.....he's so misunderstood! :)
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 08:54:36 AM »
I will agree with you 100% about the proliferation of laws, rules, regulations, and general codification of BS.
We kinda did it to ourselves tho.  I will cite as an example a fellow in a fishing club I was in.  If our rules said "no wading", Steve would want to know how far up his leg the water could be before it was considered wading.   :grin:

I've been around quite a spell and I have heard of # 1, 0, 00 buck but never #4 buckshot.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »
Number 4 Buck has been my  home defence load for many years.  A standard 2 3/4 inch 12 guage will normally hold around 27 .24 caliber balls that will pattern very nicely at short range.  I think that the prison guards carry the same load.  I don't think it would be very good on deer sized game at a distance, but for coyotes in the dark it would provide a somewhat better pattern than a bigger ball.  I think it would be a very good choice.

I asked one of the game wardens several years ago when buckshot was first outlawed why buckshot was outlawed and was told because it was the number one choice of those who dog deer, which is illegal in Tennessee........This seems to be one of those laws that was passed without much thought......buck shot is not a politically correct ammo for the above reason.  

This kind of stuff adds to the confusion and these type laws should be reviewed and done away with.  

Got to protect the kings deer right?
Barry Goldwater

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
When I lived in Tenn, (3 yrs) I thought it was odd that buckshot was outlawed. Probably 1/4 the deer & hog taken in Florida are taken with buckshot, usually on dog runs which are legal and traditional in Florida.  Especially popular in some shotgun only areas. Hunting with slugs has been slow to catch on here. #4, 3, and 2 buckshot are popular here with shotgunners for bobcat and coyote. OO and OOO for deer and hog. Personally; I use a 6.5x55 for everything but grab a double barrel 12 for tracking a wounded hog in swamps or for feral dogs around the property I work on.  I have frequently read of others who bad mouth buckshot, but within its recomended range, it is quite deadly. My wife killed a 225 lb boar with #3 buckshot in her 20 ga. Browning at 8 yds in a heavy palmetto thicket. She was in near shock after the encounter and I was just glad she was not carrying her scoped 243 bolt gun.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God