Author Topic: FA polished and jeweled trigger and hammer  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Woodchuk

• Trade Count: (0)
FA polished and jeweled trigger and hammer
« on: April 15, 2003, 06:22:39 AM »
FA lists the option of having the trigger and hammer polished and jeweled...I was wondering if this has any effect on the action.

Someone told me that it would make the action just a bit smoother because the moving parts would be very smooth.  Is this true?  Is the difference noticeable?  Are the internal moving parts of the hammer and trigger polished and jeweled as well, or is it just the external parts for looks only?

Offline Henry Bowman

Jeweling
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 12:04:57 PM »
Hello, actually the jeweling is rougher than a mirror polish.
The jeweling is normally done after the part is finished to a mirror sheen, the tiny circular stratches that make up the jeweling pattern capture a few extra microns of oil to help keep the parts lubed and smooth as well as hide tiny mars and dings that would otherwise stand out on a mirror finish.
PS,
the Freedom Arms guns are noted for more a "bank vault" feel than the silky smooth action you'd find in a tuned Colt SAA.

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
FA feel
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 08:30:11 AM »
I handled an FA97 Premier with a factory action job that was as smooth as any colt I've ever handled.

The 83's can be quite smooth as well with an action job, albeit HB the larger action does bring to mind that 'bank vault' impression you mentioned.

I don't believe jeweling the hammer and trigger has near the improvement associated with it that polishing the contacting internal surfaces does.  Sure looks nice though.
When the heart is light the feet are swift.

Offline Woodchuk

Confused...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 10:21:11 AM »
So, if you get an action job, are the contacting parts polished?

(I'll be getting a M97 in .45 LC.)

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Roger That
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 10:26:38 AM »
I like to specifically discuss 'How' the smith intends to polish the surfaces.  Most are straight up and do it by hand with a stone, some lesser quality shops do it on a buffer and that's a bad compromise.

Tell you who can give you good insight on a comprehensive approach...send a note to Ron Kontosky.  He frequents the forum alot and is a knowledgable gunsmith.

In the case of the FA, I might have the factory do it.  FA action jobs are very nice.  3lb trigger pull and no creep.

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Hey Woodchuck!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 10:33:09 AM »
How do you like the M97 in 45 colt?  What length BBl?  Just out of curiosity, what shoots well out of it?  I read the review by Quinny on Gunblast and he loved the 45 w/ 4-1/4" bbl.  Shot the Corbon defense loads real well and I've noticed that some of the cast bullet makers list specific bullets to accomodate the shorter cylinder length.

Offline Woodchuk

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 10:58:37 AM »
Singlefan,

I haven't gotten one yet.  Haven't even ordered it.  I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want.  But so far it's...

M97 in .45 LC with a 5.5" octagon barrel and FACTORY action job...
I'm trying to decide if I want the trigger and hammer jeweled and am leaning against it right now.  I'm also considering getting express sights on it, but am not sure.

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Oh Man!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 03:18:48 AM »
That sounds sweet.  Those M97's are really nice handling.

Woodchuck, I can tell from your posts that you generally have quite a bit of experience with SA's; more than me.

Wanna give you a heads up on the Express sights though because I have them on my 629  7-1/2 (too long) 44maggie.

There are some things I like about them and some things I don't.  Visibility is real nice.  Target acquisition, again, real nice...like the set up better than, say a flourescent orange front ramp.

But in my opinion they aren't as accurate as typical iron.  I shoot my 44 and my 45LC from the bench when I'm trying loads.  They are THE EXACT SAME GUN...N frame performance center.  The 45 LC is a 6 incher and I shoot it more accurately than the 44.

I think it's because of the sights.  It was actually FA (Stephanie) that pointed out to me that the Express sights are geared more for quick target acquisition than accuracy because with the V notch and bead it's more difficult to consistently repeat sight picture.  

I actually shrugged it off because I thought it would be more accurate but with a little follow up experimantation found her to be correct.  Could be that because I shoot alot open sights at about 40 yards  a little change in sight picture shows up quickly.  I do think this could be overcome with more practice.

Those 97's come up so quickly  :)  I bet you're a better and more experienced shooter than I am so it may not apply to you and if I were buying it for CAS, the express might just be the ticket.

Offline Woodchuk

Re: Experience and Express Sights
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 03:26:25 AM »
Singlefan, thanks for the heads up on the express sights.  I'll have to consider that.

Regarding my experience with SA's, I'm really a novice, though a well-read novice at that.  I've put a lot of time into researching this purchase to be sure that when it happens, I'll do it right.

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Check it out
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2003, 03:33:55 AM »
You might enjoy the review of the M97 in 45 colt at gunblast.com

He got great groups with the 4-1/4 " bbl.  I think his worst group with cowboy loads at 25 yards was around  1-1/2" and some were under an inch.

Offline Woodchuk

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2003, 03:56:56 AM »
Already read it...Actually I've read that and maybe another half dozen articles on the model 97.

You're right though, it was a good article.
For those FA nuts out there:

http://www.sixguns.com/range/Fa45.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_97-22.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_97.htm
http://www.gunweek.com/archives/2002/feature0101.html
http://www.singleaction45.com/model97.htm
(I have more I can't find right now)

If anyone's interested, I could list a bunch on the M83's too.