Author Topic: choke question  (Read 561 times)

Offline tg

• Trade Count: (0)
choke question
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:18:16 AM »
i have a question regarding chokes and patterns maybe some of you can help me with since i'm certainly no expert on the subject.  i had my "truck gun" 12 ga. pardner tapped for screw in chokes.  i initially had the gunsmith install a modified winchoke  i had purchased.  this patterns quite well at 25-30 yards using remington bb shot size.  since my main use for this gun around the place is to eliminate medium size mammals like skunk, possum etc. i thought i'd order an extra-full choke to extend my range out to around 50 yds.  however, i am very disappointed with the results using the same ammo.  at 50 yards it shoots pretty much to point-of-aim, but leaves a good size "hole" right in the middle of the pattern!  is there an explanation for this?  i'm wondering if the short 18 1/2 bbl. is a factor.  i was thinking about trying a regular full choke (instead of the x-tra full), but i'd first like to hear what your thoughts are on the poor results i'm getting with the x-tra full choke.  thanks for your input.....tg

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
choke question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 08:07:20 AM »
You are probably overchoking with a extra-full and BB shot. The larger shot sizes do not shoot as well through tighter chokes. I take it this is a flush (standard) length choke? If you want good patterns at longer ranges, you will want extended chokes with lots of parallel choke that chokes the whole shot column at the same time. This does not have to be an extra-full or super-full choke either, an extended full or extended modified may give you just what you are looking for. If you know someone with several choke tubes, see if you can borrow them to try and find what patterns good, then go buy one like it.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline tg

choke question
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 09:16:29 AM »
thanks for your help busta.  pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by the term "parallel choke"  in regard to extended choke tubes?  what i'm using now are winchokes that are not flush but only stick out about 1/4" at the most.  thanks again.....tg

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
choke question
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
Parallel Choke is the part of the choke at the muzzle end that is straight and the diameter is the same through this portion. The shot has to go through the forcing cone in the barrel (at the end of the chamber) down the barrel (bore) through the forcing cone (coned portion of choke) and into the parallel choke (parallel portion). Most extended choke tubes have a much longer (1 inch or more) parallel choke than the flush mount or Winchester tubes as in your case.

The extended chokes have longer forcing cones and longer parallel choke for improved patterns at longer distances. Some of these chokes are designed to strip the wad off the shot as it leaves the barrel.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline tg

choke question
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 12:10:51 PM »
thanks for your help busta.  i've been doing some research on chokes and what your saying is starting to make some sense.  i'm thinking about trying a Trulock Precision Hunter extended choke (reg. full).  do you think this is a wise choice for my intended purposes (bb and #4buck)?  thanks again.....tg

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
choke question
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »
tg,

I dont have any first hand experience with the Trulock chokes, but I am sure they would be just fine. Scroll down and read about the "chokes for buckshot" and it mentions the Precision Hunter Choke you mentioned. Their tests were with 00 buck and it recommended a .030 constriction but also a .040 was mentioned and MIGHT be a better choice for your BB loads and the smaller #4 buck. You will have to make the call, but in my experience you dont want to over choke. The .030 constriction will get you around .700" parallel choke and the .040 will get you about a .690" parallel choke FYI.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp

http://www.trulockchokes.com/

More choke information than you can shake a stick at. Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Choke+Tubes&btnG=Google+Search
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline tg

choke question
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 02:04:31 PM »
busta: the first two links i had already found in my searching after reading your previous thought-provoking reply.  seems like the more i read the more i realize how much more there is to learn!  the third link you gave me made me laugh 'cause when i hit that one, i found i had already read about 75% of what came up!  but thanks a lot for your helpful responses and your time.....i appreciate it very much.  i wrote to trulock and told them what i was trying to accomplish and with what size shot and hope hear a response from them this week..........thanks again      tg

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
choke question
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
More information. Looks like Wad Wizzard has a money back guarantee, try it and if you dont like it send it back for a refund. Read this FAQ and check out their site. There are lots of good choke tube companies out there with the choke you need, it will have to be your call on which one you want.

Q.    I'm shooting Federal Premium 4 Buck 3" magnum buckshot (41 pellets) through a Rem. 1187 with a factory Rem. Turkey Super-full (.665 - .062
constriction) tube. I'm getting a pattern at 50 yards that will lace a coyote from nose to rump. Can your tubes improve on that with what I'm using? I saw mention made of 12" groups at 50 yards, but I don't see one displayed in your pattern samples, nor any information about load, etc. I also don't see any patterns with #4 Buck, which in the 41 pellet size is a favorite of coyote hunters who use shotguns (with 00 Buck and  BB fighting for 2nd place). I'd really like to know about my specific load, since your FAQ page shows sometimes the short tubes pattern tighter than the long tubes with some loads.
A.    The Wad Wizard® will indeed produce exceptional patterns with #4 buckshot--generally at least as good or better than anything else on the market. I'm sorry that we don't illustrate a "typical" pattern for you. Try a Wad Wizard® (I'd go with the longer "Supreme") and see how it does in your gun; if it doesn't do what you want, send it back for a refund.
              The 12 gauge 3" 41-pellet #4 buckshot load is a good one. The #4 buck pellet is small enough (.24") that it can produce very tight patterns through  tight conventional tubes. It was one of my favorite loads through my 3" A-5 Browning Magnum before the advent of removable choke tubes. The larger buckshot sizes are better off with a more open choke. The #4 buck is used (as w/#2 birdshot) because there are many more pellets in the shell, and those sizes therefore increase the probability of a hit, or of multiple hits, on a coyote. All things being equal, the larger pellet is a better killer at any range that you can expect to hit the animal.
              However, the Wad Wizard® patterns are so good and tight with the much more powerful  #1 buck, #0 buck,  #00 buck and #000 buck pellets at 50 yards and beyond, that you might well want try some of these larger balls on the coyotes. It is easier on the hides, too!

http://www.wadwizard.com/
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member