Author Topic: Sandhills Whitetail  (Read 465 times)

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sandhills Whitetail
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:01:50 AM »
I am joining a new lease this year.   I was on +/- 500 acres with 10 guys for $400.00, and was invited into another club.  3800 acres with 9 guys for $650.00.   :grin: The problem is that is in an entirely different type of terrain than I am used to.  Almost all of my experience is in hardwood or fields, whereas the new lease is in the sandhills of SC, and is mostly pine and scrub oak over sand and very, very flat.  

I was wondering if anyone could share some experience with that type of hunting.  Hints, tips, etc...will be greatly appriciated.  I know that there are perminant towers, blinds, and climbing stands, and hunting over bait (read corn) is legal, althought I don't know if I'll go that route or not.

Thank you,

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Sandhills Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »
Well that's my neck of the woods...The biggest thing you have to contend with is the heat.    Season opens in my county around August 15th.  That's just too dang hot to hunt. You'll use a climber more than anything, the bucks usually don't come into the fields until dark.The big bucks are nocturnal almost before and after the rut.  You won't see them in a big field most of the time.  The deer around SC need corn to get big.   The deer are much smaller compared to other states.  A 200lb buck in SC is a rare monster.  Most mature bucks are in the 160lb range.  Dog drives are legal and pretty much the norm here because of unlimited amount of does.  Hunting over bait is legal in some counties and not in others so read the SCDNR booklet.  You won't need anything over a 30-30 or buckshot to take any deer here in SC.  The best counties to hunt are Beufort, Aiken, Edgefield, Allendale, Chesterfield, Chester,  Saluda, & Orangeburg.  The best place in SC is near the Savannah river along Aiken and Edgefield counties, that's where you will find the more mature bucks.