Author Topic: topper dlx classic action opened while firing  (Read 540 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
topper dlx classic action opened while firing
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »
Its a new gun. fired about a half a box of wallmart bulk ammo thru it, federal low brass clay and pigeon stuff, and switched to leftover ammo I needed to dispose of.  shot some rem. long range 6 shot, some win. AA, and some kicked worse than others, but then I got to this weird shell. Solid plastic, red, called "active",  2 &3/4".  I read it and assumed it was safe to shoot, as it was a 2&3/4" #6 shot  12 ga. shell. Well It kicked the most, and when I shot the action came open. I was stunned as this gun is supposed to handle 3" mags. I checked over the gun very well, No seen damage. I shot the rest of my "odds & ends" ammo, with no other problems.  Can anybody tell me about this rogue shell, and can My gun which is supposed to handle 3" mags do so?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »
The Activ shells have a metal ring that the plastic is injected around at the rim and my guess is that it didn't lock up as tight on this shell due to it being plastic. The activ shell could have been a turkey load. I bought some of them 10-12 years ago and they do not cycle through autoloaders or pumps very well. The plastic gets caught on the shell stop and stops the cycle.

My guess is it wasn't locked up tight on the shell if it worked well for all your brass rimmed shells. Just make sure you are getting a good lock-up and you should be fine. If it wont lock-up, call Customer Service and let them know. Better safe than sorry.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks. I used a micrometer on the shells, and the active shell was actually a hair smaller in diameter. none the less, today it happened 3 more times shooting trap loads. :x   I can't stand it when a brand new gun dosn't function correctly. Its chambered for 3" and I WAS going to use it for turkey. I'm just wondering if theres anything I can try before I ship it back to the factory?

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »
Gallahad...I've heard of others having that same problem...Try removing the barrel and cleaning out the open area in the receiver as well as the the ejector.  It seems that sometimes small bits of machining metal dust/filings make their way into the receiver and somehow prevent reliable lockup...Just take that gun apart and clean the heck out of the action, ejector and receiver well...After you try that out, shoot it again...Hopefully that helps to fix your problem and prevents shipping your firearm back to H&R...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:23:42 AM »
:grin: well I did that and got a hole box of trap shells thru it with no problems.  Now I have to get some turkey loads and try them.  will post results, but it'll be a coupel days.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
Alright...So far so good.  Keep us posted and hopefully everything will work as it should.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »
I bought some rem. #6 heavy shot 1 5/8 oz. 3" mags.  I shot one last evening (I said it would take a few days, but I had a dentist app. in the city, so I was able to get em sooner than I thought.) :wink: ) The gun functioned just fine!  Only fired one shell tho, and off my hip. (holding a thick gun case between the gun and myself :roll: . ) I decided to go and fill the butt stock with lead shot before shooting it off my shoulder with those loads. I only weigh 137.  Anybody know if the 12 ga. turkey/extra full chokes provided by nef/h&r are of the ported variety? Or does anybody make a ported one that fits our h&rs?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 06:00:28 AM »
Any Win-Choke (Winchester, Mossberg 500/9200, Savage, SKB, Ithaca, etc.,) or Browning Invector (NOT Invector Plus) will fit in the H&R/NEF. You can buy any aftermarket choke that has the above thread pattern.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »
Thanks Busta, VERY helpful.  :D