Author Topic: Loaded Gun + Extreme Heat = Boom?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline memphis

• Trade Count: (0)
Loaded Gun + Extreme Heat = Boom?
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:52:46 PM »
My wife has just gotten her CCW and asked me if it was okay to leave her gun in the dash for an extended period of time on a hot day.  She's a little afraid the rounds might go off leaving a bit of a mess in the car.  Personally, I have no idea of the right answer to this question, but I was hoping someone may be able to help me out.  I remember hearing something about throwing live rounds into a fire and they wouldn't go off or something to that effect, but this is definitely something I'd like to know for sure before sending my lil' miss on her way.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Loaded Gun + Extreme Heat = Boom?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:21:41 PM »
Quote from: memphis
My wife has just gotten her CCW and asked me if it was okay to leave her gun in the dash for an extended period of time on a hot day.  She's a little afraid the rounds might go off leaving a bit of a mess in the car.  Personally, I have no idea of the right answer to this question, but I was hoping someone may be able to help me out.  I remember hearing something about throwing live rounds into a fire and they wouldn't go off or something to that effect, but this is definitely something I'd like to know for sure before sending my lil' miss on her way.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I have had a loaded gun in extreme heat and never had a round cook off. Second, it is agents the law in some states to leave a loaded gun inside a car unattended. So you may want to check your local laws.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »
There's always two or more loaded guns in the trunk of my patrol car. I would suspect it gets about as hot in there as any glove box. I have yet to hear any loud noises or find any new holes in the car from cooked off rounds.  :)  Seriously, if your car doesn't catch on fire you'll be ok!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »
:-D DUring the first Gulf War I saw guns and ammo left on the dash boards of vehicles when it was well over 120 degrees.  I imagine it was much warmer with the sun shinning through the glass.  Never seen or heard of any rounds cooking off.  Course I can't say that about a can of Off.......... :lol:

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 05:28:25 PM »
Have To Agree
Was riding with my brother  in his new 73 chevy vega once and we stopped at a restaurant. When I opened my door a loose 12ga shotgun shell got kicked out. I grabbed it and put it on the dash but it went right down the heater vent :eek:
Couldnt get it out so it stayed in there for four more years till he got rid of that car which was pretty much ready for the junk yard.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »
The gun gets a lot hotter when you fire it, and it's still safe. Don't know about leaving it in open view on the dash, though. Around where I live, a pack of cigarettes or a six pack in open view is pretty much an invitation for a street punk to break into the car. I imagine a free gun would be motivation enough to smash a window.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:17:55 AM »
Never had one go off on me in over 40 years.  Mikey.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:24:52 AM »
Two other things need to be mentioned.  If the ammunition is heated up and fired, pressures will skyrocket.  The other is that ammunition thrown into a fire does "go off" to a degree; the primers will pop with their usual loud noise, the powder will ignite but since the cartridge isn't contained in a cylinder, the bullet will only travel a very short distance (a few inches to a few feet) since the case mouth expands and gasses travel around it.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 03:29:57 AM »
:cb2: After a day of culling a herd of turtles, my wife threw my pants in the washer and then the dryer before I had time to clear out my pockets. Several .22 cartridges were washed and dried, but not all escaped the dryer.
Some went down into the little holes in the dryer. I don't know how hot it gets, but none have ever gone off, and it's been about 4 years.

I have to agree with DWTim. Why would anyone leave a gun in plain sight on the dashboard!  :eek:  In my town that is just screaming for someone to smash a car window, and give a criminal a free gun. Not wise.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline flintlock

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:54:07 AM »
That Chevy Vega was ready for the junk yard....as soon as it rolled off the assembly line!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 04:30:30 AM »
in the dash

I take that to mean in the dash compartment--------not physically "On the Dash"
Savage

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
Oh, sorry, I thought it was just a typo. The vernacular around here is 'glovebox'.

Offline memphis

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to all you folks for your your help.  And sorry about the dash/glovebox confusion--I'm just an old country boy and that's all we call it around here.  But thanks again from both me and my wife.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »
Momma said it was a glove box. Momma's is always right.  :grin:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jrhen

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
Phoenix Az, never had a problem with bullets in the car... wife's forgotten hair spray, kids can of soda yes....bullets no.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 09:21:18 AM »
put the gun in a small cooler :grin:

Offline S.S.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:05:39 AM »
I have never heard of one cooking off, But I did make a mess with a handfull of .22 rimfire cartridges once? That bullet lube melted off
and left a nasty looking stain! I never could get that spot off! :oops:
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 12:48:28 PM »
I know a guy who left a loaded gun in his oven, forget it, and turned it on to 275.  An hour later, he remembered, but none of the rounds had cooked off.  The rubber grips, however, were kinda....gooey.  

On the other hand, I have heard of a police chief who suspended himself after he left HIS gun in the oven, apparently it was over 300+ degrees, and it blew several holes in the oven, and destroyed the gun as well.  But I have kept a hundred rounds of spare ammo in my patrol car, as well as my personal vehicle, for years, without any problem.  And it gets HOT around here.  

As for rounds in a campfire, they WILL go off, but once they get hot enough to blow, they pretty much just burst.  That's not to say they aren't dangerous, but less so than a bullet from a barrel.  But on one campout years ago, a drunk threw a box of shotgun shells into a bonfire, and we all bailed, and hid out behind a truck until they had all gone off.  Several tents got ventilated by flying debris, and a truck got some paint chipped off.  The miscreant who educated us was summarily dumped from all future activities involving fire and guns!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
Major battles of WWII were faught in North Africa which is hotter than the hinges on the gates to Hell and the heat wasn't an issue with the ammo.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline PaulS

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »
I could take a look at the MSDS sheets and find out what temperature they become dangerous and the temp they will ignite at.
I am sure I can find that info somewhere.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 01:29:06 AM »
All righty-------------------------- Let's put this one to bed!
Winchester says autoignition temp of their ball powder is in the 190-200 C range.
Savage

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 04:58:49 AM »
What is that in Fahrenheit, anyway?  Just so I have a number to quote later when my ex-wife's car mysteriously blows up with her smoking in it...... 8)

Papajohn

Offline Castaway

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 05:06:38 AM »
200 C = 392 F

Offline Questor

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »
The inside of a car in the southern California desert can get up to 200F with the windows closed on the hottest days. That's hot enough to explode some golf balls, and I'm sure it doesn't do ammo any good. If in doubt, ask the highway patrol around Needles, CA. They'll know.
Safety first

Offline PaulS

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 03:59:13 PM »
Well you need another 190 degrees before it goes bang but if you store it for long periods at that temp it will degrade faster. Not dangerous but not good for the long term.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 04:07:56 PM »
Paul makes a good point.  Ever notice how all your powder canisters advise you to store them in a cool, dry place?  Heat degrades powder.  Probably primer compound, as well.  I'm sure it takes a lot of heat over a lot of time, but I'm also sure there's a good reason to rotate duty ammo that's been subjected to the rigors of a long summer!