Author Topic: Concealed Carry Training  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Docsmith45

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed Carry Training
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:53:19 AM »
Now that Nebraska has joined the majority of the country in allowing its citizens the right to self defense, I was wondering what most states do in the training programs?  Who is qualified to teach?  What is the curriculum like?  since the bill just passed on Thursday, we have no information.  It just says the State patrol has to approve the course.

Offline KN

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »
You will most likely have to wait for them to define what they require for training if it's not spelled out in the legislation. Congrats by the way for Nebraska's CCW.   KN

Offline Docsmith45

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:38:26 PM »
thanks KN.  I was just curious what other states require.  I suspect there will be some similarities.  After ten years of trying, it is great to finally join the many states who have recognized the need to provide some citizens the right to self defense.

Offline jimster

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
Congrats in Nebraska.
As KN points out, it will be in your legislation on who is qualified to teach and what the cirriculum has to have.
I have been to a few of these in Michigan, and NRA certified instructors are able to do this. The courses vary a little bit, depending on who is teaching them, but there are several things in the legislation that will be covered, per the legislation.
One class I was at had both NRA instructor and local police officers working together, along with a firearms lawyer from the State to go over some very interesting information. A real eye opener with the lawyer.
It will include range time under supervision.
The county police that helped in the class were good also, they showed us some neat things in class also. Neat scenarios...like the police officer would hand you a dummy pistol, he would stand right in front of you (arms length) while you had the hammer back and pointed at him, when he made a move for you you were supposed to shoot him.  He pointed out how reaction was slower than reaction...he could swat the pistol away before you could pull the trigger. This was to point out not to let anyone get this close!
Anyway, some of the classes are informative, both with legal info and shooting info.

OK...do we have 40 states now that CCW is available to the people???
Things are looking up!

Offline williamlayton

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:49:11 AM »
Texas
8 hours of class.
Range qualifying.
Paperwork--takes about 2/3 mos to be accepted. Don't have any skeltons in the closet.
Instructors are qualified by the state.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:42:37 AM »
In Delaware:

16 hours of class.
Range qualifying.
Back ground check
Finger printed
Paperwork--takes about 4 mos and goes before a Judge.
Instructors are qualified by the state also.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:48:59 AM »
In Arizona,

8 hours of class.

Range qualifying.

Back ground check

Finger printing

Paperwork--takes about 2 weeks.

Lots of talk about the legal ramifications of a shooting.

Also, a Range 2000 simulator where I went.  It's an interactive varying scenario with multiple possible outcomes and actions done with a special gun (plastic).

Ka6otm

Offline NYH1

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:33:10 AM »
In New York State (not New York City) just about anyone can get a pistol permit. It depends on which county you live in as to whether it's easy or hard to get a concealed carry permit or not. Some counties are basically shall issue and others are almost impossible to get a carry permit.

Here is the thing that really gets me. Whether you get a carry permit or not you have to take a 4 or 6 hour safety course. It's a joke. No range time at all. I took mine in 1996 at the instructor house. He gave the course with his kids coming in and out of the room. I've heard from a few people that their instructor didn't even have a pistol at the course.

Then if you do get a carry permit which a lot of people do get. You can carry just about anywhere you want except governmental buildings, police stations, schools ect. If you want to stop at a bar and have a few drinks as long as your pistol is concealed it's perfectly legal.

If New York State would become a shall issue state as far as concealed carry go's and keep everything else the way it is right now, it would be one of the best states as far as where you can and can't carry. Wait a minute what was I thinking as long as we have New York City area politicians (republicans and democrats they all suck) running the  state...........it's never going to happen!

Congrats Nebraska!  :toast:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Docsmith45

New York Hunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 07:24:35 AM »
We have a little of the same problem.  One city, Omaha, sort of runs a little roughshod over things at times.  The city has it's own law against concealed carry and it overrides the state law which has just been put into place.  New York is a beautiful state if you just ignore that one little corner.

Offline NYH1

Re: New York Hunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 07:35:54 AM »
Quote from: Docsmith45
New York is a beautiful state if you just ignore that one little corner.
You hit the nail right on the head. The only problem is it's too hard to ignore because it effects us every day!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline lefthanded

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 05:00:44 PM »
In Georgia
Apply for your permit at the probate judges office, send off fingerprint card and wait for results..assuming you aren't a felon, drug addict, under any kind of family violence order etc, you are issued your permit.

Offline rockbilly

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 04:13:36 PM »
:roll: All 0f the training mentioned above is important and a must to be effective with the firearm, but the most important training is mental.  Are you prepared to take another life?  Once you have occassion to pull the gun it should only be to totally eliminate any threat.  You have to convince yourself, there will be no mercy shots, all expended rounds will be with bad intentions.

This serves two purposes, first it eliminates the threat, then it eliminates any possible lawsuit for injurying an individual.  Courts have normally ruled in favor of the shooter in cases where the bad guy is DEAD.  A bleeding heart jury may make you support an injuried person for the rest of your/their life.  

Train your self mentally to be prepared to take a life if you have to pull your weapon. :shock:

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
true, but do NOT shoot if you don't have to do so.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
If you put a bullet in somebody, the costs to you will be $20,000+ to stay out of prison, most likely, and ANOTHER $20,000+ to not lose your butt in a lawsuit. Every shot you fire, even those that miss and richochet, you are responsible-for.

since it's well proven that over 90% of attackers WILL back down at just the sight of your (ready) gun, (IF you get it out and "on" the attacker in time for him to notice it and flee), you definitely want to get the gun out "early", and let him back down, rather than wait until you HAVE to draw and fire.  

This is where some hand to hand experience, and keeping your hand ON a pocket gun (in the pocket) in a Kydex pocket holster (secured in the pocket with velcro) is a very good idea.  It lets any duffer be as fast on the ccw draw as the fastest men are with a ccw belt rig (still hidden under a garment).  In bad weather, transfer the rig to the coat pocket. You can "palm" the rig and gun as you doff or don your coat, to the appropriate pocket.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline rockbilly

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »
:D Slink.  In Texas we can use deadly force if we are in a situation where we percieve our life to be in danger.  In most cases, Idoubt that an individual would ever see the inside of a criminal court, but a civil court is a different story.  With our sue crazy society some lawyer would convince either the survivor or relative to sue.  That is why my lawyer advises to shoot to kill if you have to fire the gun. :roll:

Offline jimster

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »
Rockbilly, I agree. We were even taught in classes about what your saying, and had a firearms lawyer and a cop tell us just that.
In michigan, there is no law to retreat, you can use deadly force if you perceive your life is in danger, or there will be great bodily harm.
They told us to make sure your attacker is dead also, they said one story is much better than two stories.  
Alos, they warned us about the possiblity of civil court, and the police officer told us that even cops can sometimes get drug into that.
You might win in civil court, but it will cost you just to be there.

Offline Docsmith45

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 03:39:38 PM »
Thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge and experience.  I do truly understand the potential cost in dollars involved.  In my 61 years I have had one experience where I wished I had ready access to a handgun.  I pray it is the last time.  I do intend to pursue a permit when they become available.  I believe our State Patrol will develop an effective training program.  Thanks again.

Offline dcewolf

Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:46:11 AM »
In Virginia, you have various choices of NRA sanctioned courses or even a hunter safety course.  Of course this is only the "training" portion of applying for CC permit here.