Author Topic: Need some opinions, 1911.  (Read 789 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Need some opinions, 1911.
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:20:23 AM »

Wanted 1911 model/style with target sights for informal shooting.

I started looking, but there are so many and so many different brands.  So I thought I would narrow done the choices here with the greybeard experts.

Oh yes, need to keep it under $1500.

Thanks Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline sundogg1911

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 04:32:32 PM »
can't go wrong with a springfield. Para-Ordnance's are great, and you can go Hi-cap! Kimber's are good too. I think the Springfield Loaded is about the best value out there right now for a good quality 1911

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:20:59 AM »
GrandpaMike - you can't go wrong with sundog's recommendation.  I went to Springfield about 15 years ago and haven't loked back since.  They are excellent quality pistols.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
Somehow all of the reply posts got deleted.  There were about 10 I believe.  Thanks for the new replies.

But based on all of the previous replies I have a Kimber Super Match II on order.

Mike.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
:D At the amount you quoted, I woul;d look around for a good used gun that had been worked over by Wilson or Clark.  You may have to spend some time looking, but they are ouit there at a reasonable price.  Check Auctionarms.com and Gunbrokers.com.  I have seen some real good buys on 1911 style accuriazed guns on these sites.

A good used quality built gun will add many hours of pleasure to your shooting, and you may even get lucky and find one suitable for competive shooting.  JMHO :wink:

Offline jro45

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:57:47 AM »
I have a Springfield and that gun can shoot accurately. Thats what I would recommend. :D

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »
I would stay away from a used gun with extensive work done from and auction site. Sometimes there's a reason they are being "Dumped off"
If you can handle the pistol and possibly test fire it, that's a whole different story.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »
:roll: Sundogg.  I bought two off Auction Arms, both were exactly what they were advertised to be.  The Colt Gold Gup was advertised as Excellent, it was like new in the box, I would guess that less than 200 rounds had been put through it, at it came at a very good price.  The Wilson was excellent too, it was used, had some handling marks but the seller pointed them out in his ad.

I am sure there are a lot of trash guns on the net, matter of fact, I put a post on GB earlier, warrning people about the guns that were coming out of Fla, MS and La after the hurricanes.  I was almost taken on a Remington 22-250, but the dealer made it right.  The gun had set under water (?) was rusty and even had mud in the action and barrel.  I got the gun at a much reduced price, it cleaned up fine, is a very good shooter, buit it does have a little rust damage under the wood.

Don't be afraid to deal with them, most have a three day inspection period, and the gun can be returned,  Most will even refund the shipping cost. :wink:

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 11:13:12 AM »
Dealer just called...  my new Kimber Super Match II is finally here.  Pick it up after work tonight....

Thanks to everyones input again, even though some were deleted during the hackers storm awhile back.

How many Magazines should I get with it?

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 06:50:44 AM »
Three is a good number, I know a lot of people who keep one in the gun, and get a two mag belt case.  It's good to have that much for practice, if you set up target courses, etc, to have enough to shoot everything in the course two or three times.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
GrampaMike,
As I recall, only one mag comes with a new Kimber. It's a Megar. Nothing wrong with the Megar mags. Having owned and shot 1911s over almost half of their service life, my choice of mags are the "Chip McCormics". The Metalform and Wilsons are good too, but more pricey thatn the CMs. Buy at least six of the magazines of your choice. Be sure to number them with an engraving tool. That way if you have a mag problem or just want to rotate them, you have a number for reference. I have at least six mags for all my pistols. If you shoot IPSC or IDPA you will need them.
The Kimber is a good choice, I love my Kimbers.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

When I picked the gun up, it came with 1 magazine (Savage is right), I ended up buying 3 more of the KimPro magazines, just because that is all he had in stock.

Great idea about the engraving. I will number and date the magazines.

Went out yesterday to fire the Kimber.  No one at the range; cold, windy and raining but I had to fire it.  Can't wait for spring to learn what I can do with this 45.

Thanks Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 07:00:16 AM »
Followup Range Report.

Have fired 600 rounds thru the Kimber now.

Remarkable gun, I didn't know I could shoot this good, plus it is such a pleasure to fire.  Been shooting at the Quantico Pistol Range at the 7yd, 15yd and 25yd firing lines.  At the 15yd line standing offhand after 3 magazines the x and 10 rings are completely missing, just one big ragged hole.  Must be mostly the gun because I also shoot 2 different 9mm pistols (Ruger P89T and CZ 75) and the target scores are totally different.

Side Note: Recently some of the FBI Academy students (boy are they young) were practicing on the same range.  Their scores vs us old guys on the other half of range (retired vets) were pitiful.  They got a little more respect for us old guys now.  Practice, practice, practice.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

Offline Questor

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 10:27:21 AM »
Excellent! That's quite an accomplishment. It's not mostly the gun, it's mostly the shooter.

:grin:
Safety first