Author Topic: Tracker II + Dixie slug  (Read 1021 times)

Offline KW

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
Hi. Don't know if this would be the right forum but I thought since everyone here has a working knowledge of slugs it would make since to ask here first. I was wondering what your opions would be about carrying a Tracker II with some of those Dixie Terminator slugs as a back up gun for a fishing trip that is coming up in Brown Bear neighborhood? I can't afford another gun so that option is out. This would be strictly a backup gun in case those big pooh bears think we are luckier fishermen then they are. Not expecting to use it, but better safe then sorry. thanks

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:23:58 AM »
Ouch on the recoil, but that should keep brownie off your back. Good luck fishing! You might not want to shoot the first one from the bench though. :eek:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:51:53 AM »
I have shot them from my Tracker II and they pack quite a punch. They are hard cast full diameter slugs with a large meplat. I would not hesitate to use them as grizzley protection but I would worry about either using Foster style slugs or Sabots. Out of a 12 gauge they are POTENT!!! I have shot them from a bench but would suggest shooting them standing, it will take some of the recoil out of them. They really are great slugs for dangerous game, they would be wonderful for big hogs as well as bear, leaving one large hole where they went in and another where they exited!!!. The only real problem is if you use them for grizzley protection from a Handi you only get 1 quick shot and then must reload. As much as I like H&R's I believe a nice 870, Model 37, or BPS in 3" 12 gauge with a short barrel woud be better bear repellant....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »
Those look like some nice slugs.     :grin:

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »
I have read of Alaskan guides who carry a  Mag10 or a 12ga pump with Brenneke slugs [I know you'd approve, MSP Ret!]
And, I'm sorry, but I recommended to my son, who was to be stationed in AK,  that he get an 870 or 590 short barrel for slugs.
Not an auto, but a pump.
IF you need that 2nd shot, you do want it to be there.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline KW

Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 07:15:31 PM »
The recoil is a factor I was worried about, but I am hoping either a limbsaver or a decelerator stock pad plus time at the range with the slugs would help with it. I know that a second shot would be nice, but I think at the ranges we would be from a charge there wouldn't be anytime to get a second shot off from me anyways. Doing some research and seeing first hand account, that those furry things can really move. Now my buddy on the other hand would have a chance to deal another blow. Then at least one of us would have some relief :) How is the accuracy of these slugs? Talking no more then 75 yards max. Figure if they are that far away it's my duty to move out of their way.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 05:45:59 AM »
From my expiernece with Dixie Slugs at the range they would easily  suffice at 75 yards on large bears. The accuracy is not what I get from Brennekes but they are meant for big, thick skinned, heavy and dangerous game at shorter distances than the 100-150 yards some here use shotguns with slugs here for deer. I would think in a protection mode for big bears the distance you would have to use the slugs would be no more than 20-25 yards, otherwise watch and wait or you are "hunting" not protecting yourself mode. Dixie slugs also did have some full diameter "Tri-Ball" loads for 12 gauge tyhat looked like they would have been just the ticket loaded alternately in a pump or semi-auto with thier hard cast slugs as big bear protection. They no longer offer them (the last I knew) but would load some for a customer if ordered. I do want to get a few boxes for thick swamp hunting and feel they would be GREAT for hogs up close in thick swamps from a short barreled shotgun.
Offhand, hows is your son doing in AK? Sounds as if he has dream job to me, the top of the LEO chain in a big and wonderfully wild state!!!....<><....  :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 05:40:16 AM »
MSP Ret, sorry to take so long to respond!!!......I've been off on other sites  :shock: , re: my Redhawk 41mag and at the 16ga Society........but anyway.......as to my son in AK......that did not pan out......he is a Lt. in the Army, currently stationed at Ft Knox for the past year. He was to go with an amored div. to AK.....but has been waiting around for his 1st choice option to open up....he may know something about a new assignment in the next 2 wks........hurry up and wait........
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Tracker II + Dixie slug
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:17:34 PM »
Hello offhand35, all the best to your son. This is my first post in a while, I have been in western PA for my mother-in-laws funeral and only returned late last night. I miss her but know she is with the Lord in a better place so I am happy for her.
What is this 16 gauge society you have spoken of? I thought I was the odd man out for liking my 16 gauge so much. I have an old 16 Savage/Stevens O/U I really like and have been looking for a 16 gauge modified barrel for my H&R for a looong time now....<><.... :grin: