Author Topic: Found a toy  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
Found a toy
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
Hi all

I have found this tiny little toy cannon in a local junk shop (Canberra Australia). It has a little brass plaque embossed with Fort Ticonderoga N.Y. It has a cast metal carrage and a brass barrel complete with touch hole and bore, the bore has been blocked with a .22 shell case that has been shot you can see the rim fire strike, I do mean to take it out to see if it is drilled all the way down the barrel. Is quite heavy so i guess it is old and not made in china.
The barrel looks like it was plated at one time you can see where it has been polished and removed but for the groves on the barrel still has some plating left also the barrel looks turned not cast. So what am I after? Any one from the area who remembers some thing like this for sale for a rough age on it.

Will send pics if any one asks posting a pic here might be a little way off for my computer skills.

Help if it tell you it is in a navel cannon style. HMS Victory etc

Owen
Australia.
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Found a toy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
I woul like to see some pics.

rlachance@wavecable.com
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Found a toy
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »
By all means post the pix!  (Or send them to one of us to do so.)

Fort T. played an important role of our Navy early on in our revolutionary war.  They have some interesting artifacts and bits of history at the museum  that is there now.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Owen

Found a toy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 02:49:47 AM »
Ok has taken more time than i thought but here are some pics

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/gallery.php?u=Owen1234&g=Small-cannon

Hope this works

Owen
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Found a toy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:02 AM »
We have a couple of fellows that are toy cannon collectors who come through every now and then that may be better  informed on this than I, but and am going to offer a SWAG!

It is s typical souvenir found in the book shops at most American Battlefield National Parks.  But!!! I think this is an older model.  I have neve seen one mounted quite like that one and never seen one with the Fort or battle field name.  

I'd call it a good find

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Found a toy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:48:30 PM »
I have not seen one with the Fort or battle name on it but: I got the same style by sending 3 box tops off my Quaker dude Puff Wheat cereal. (slightly more than a couple of days ago. or decades even)  You could also get brass 6pdrs. Still got em'.

Offline Artilleryman

Found a toy
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
I have the same cannon.  Bore goes just short of the trunnions.  I think I picked it up at the Fort about 45 years ago.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA