Author Topic: .41 long colt  (Read 551 times)

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
.41 long colt
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »
I came across a Lyman 3 die set for .41 long colt at a garage sale. I had to go back as far as a 1964 Lyman manual to find a reference for it. Are there any around? I don't recall seeing any mention of one on any of the forums. Is there a need for these dies or are they just a paperweight? Would be interested to know if anyone actually owns a .41 long colt.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
.41 long colt
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 03:35:09 PM »
My Dad hand a 41 Long Colt long before I was born.  I have a few factory loads for it.  Who knows where they are stored.  

In 1938 my folks lived in a very rural area.  Dad left before 5 a.m. in the morning for work.  Mom woke up to a sound and observed a guy standing in the doorway of the bedroom.  The 41 round shattered the door frame and the intruder left the house and the area.  So it impressed at least one person.  

Years later I remember my Dad target practicing with it.  Sometime later I remember his showing up with a new .22 pistol he had traded the gun shop for.  He said the 41. Colt was to expensive to shoot.  I have not run across one since.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline rockbilly

.41 long colt
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:54:45 PM »
:D A close friend who collects old Colts has one, it is in excellent shape.  Due to the value of his collection they are seldom, if ever, fired.  If I remember correctly, he said the gun was worth well over 20K.

I don't recall ever seeing another one. :shock:

Offline Jon_E

.41 long colt
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:07:25 AM »
Jon

Lifes funny.... you can sleep off a drunk, but you cant sleep off ugly.

Offline Siskiyou

.41 long colt
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 05:52:36 AM »
I enjoyed reading the article after following the link you provided.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Dusty Miller

.41 long colt
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:01:08 AM »
There's a perfect example of why I like hanging around this web-site.  A .41 Long Colt, who'd a thunk it?!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jhm

.41 long colt
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:04 AM »
A good friend of mine just last year at a gun show in Hot Springs Ar. bought a old colt in that caliber, it was a bit worn for me but he is a machinest and said he has several of that vintage and he has made several of the parts they needed, I believe he got it for less than $100, as I know he is a little tight on the spending side.  If you bought the dies and are willing to part with them I will let him know. :D    JIM

Offline jhm

.41 long colt
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:42 AM »
A good friend of mine just last year at a gun show in Hot Springs Ar. bought a old colt in that caliber, it was a bit worn for me but he is a machinest and said he has several of that vintage and he has made several of the parts they needed, I believe he got it for less than $100, as I know he is a little tight on the spending side.  If you bought the dies and are willing to part with them I will let him know. :D    JIM

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
41 lc
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
I have no need of the dies. If anyone wants them let me know and they will go very reasonable.