Author Topic: Whole foods bans the sale of live lobster and crab  (Read 409 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Whole foods bans the sale of live lobster and crab
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:24:02 AM »
They say it's inhumane.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060615/ap_on_bi_ge/live_lobsters

My friends on the cape won't know what to make of this.  

Should we consider this a PITA win?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:49:57 AM »
victorcharlie - ok!  I won't go to Austin, Texas to eat lobster and soft shell crab.  I'll go to Maine and eat them.  Mikey.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:17:17 AM »
Disregard this post, upon farther research, whole foods sells natural and organic foods........and don't appear to be one of the big retailers.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:32:29 AM »
This fits the MSM's environmental agenda, so they're inflating this story on purpose. It's an AP story, of course. There is absolutely no other reason that this (over-priced) 'boutique' food chain should be getting all this press.

Quote from: Stock Profile
Whole Foods Market, Inc. and its subsidiaries engage in the ownership and operation of natural and organic foods supermarkets. It offers produce, seafood, grocery, meat and poultry, bakery, prepared foods and catering, specialty (beer, wine, and cheese), whole body (nutritional supplements, vitamins, body care, and educational products), floral, pet products, and household products. As of April 9, 2006, the company operated 171 stores in the United States and the District of Columbia; 3 stores in Canada; and 7 stores in the United Kingdom. Whole Foods Market was founded in 1978 and is based in Austin, Texas.

Small potatoes compared to Stop & Shop, with its 550 stores.

Quote from: From the Article
In making its decision, Whole Foods pointed to a November report from the European Food Safety Authority Animal Health and Welfare panel that it said concluded all decapod crustaceans, including lobsters and crabs, appear to have some degree of awareness, feel pain and can learn.

THEN MOVE YOUR STORES TO EUROPE!

Don't regret posting this. I'll make sure I steer clear of their products. Thanks!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »
You bet they have awareness...try putting one half-way into a boiling pot and it will do its best to get out...and right quick too.  I am not a good bible quoter (yet) but I know that my God put us humans on this earth to dominate over the animals and to use them for our sustenance.

Vegetarian - another term for lousy hunter.