Author Topic: Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband  (Read 453 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« on: June 14, 2006, 05:21:36 AM »
Anyone tried these muffs before?  I figured I'd give them a try, as I'm a hat wearer when I go out to the range.  I have the headband on my current pair, but I wanted to try out the behind the neck style.  Anyone have anything to say about either the specific model, or the style?  Much appreciated.

:D
-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline rebel49

Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
Patriot:
I have the Tactical 6 with the over the head band, I use them quite a bit as I'm a Range Officer and on duty 4 days a week. I think they work great, they allow me to carry on a conversation in normal voice and still Protect me from the blasts. I have not had any problems with them dampening even .50 bmg, although the muzzle blast from the brakes will make you flinch at times. I change the batteries every month or so, they seem to last pretty long. I've had mine since 7/05 and they still work great. One nice feature is that you can hear conversations from quite a distance.
I did try the behind the head model, and I did not like them. They rubbed on the stocks, neck of your shirt, ect. and you could hear that in the ear cups. I ended up turning them upside down and wearing them like that till my new set got here, then gave them to my son.
All of my Range officers are now equipped with them, some tried the cheap electronics from Sportsmans Guide and other places and like the Peltors better.
Hope this helps,
Rebel49

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:42:06 AM »
Thanks rebel49, your input is appreciated.  Did the band behind the neck style interfere considerably with shouldering a firearm, or was it just the noise from slight rubbing (against the stock) that made it disagreeable?  To me, the extra comfort of having the band behind the neck while wearing a hat seems better to me than my current setup.  I have to pull my hat tight against the head band on the top, and then pull the string underneath tight to keep it on properly.

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Ear Muffs
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »
I have a pair muffs that band is on my neck not across head,
 I like them much better, they old and I don't know who made
 them or where i got them. Just my 2 cents Marv.

Offline rebel49

Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »
Patriot:
I just didn't like the way that the behind the head band bumped into the stock and generally got in the way. My over the head band doesn't get in the way, once it's adjusted it stays where their put. I wear a hat also and I have no problem at all, at least now my hat doesn't blow off. The wind at our range can sometimes be brutal, gusting at times to 35-40 mph. I spend sometimes 10 hours with the muffs on and have had no problems.
Where are you located at?
Rebel49

Offline rockbilly

Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
:D I have used both behind the neck, and over the top.  I use ther over the top type over my cap, it works for me.

The important thing here, it doesn't matter which one you use, select the one that is most comfortable for you and WEAR THEM.  It make no difference what you have if they are left at home.  And it doesn't hurt to use a disposable ear plug with them.  Heed this advice, and when you reach my age maybe you will still have your hearing. :wink:

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:44:37 PM »
Rebel49:

The kind of hat I wear is a military-style boonie hat.  A baseball cap is no problemo with over the head bands.  I don't know if that is what you wear, but I'll go into detail about the purpose of my headgear.  Not only do I wear the boonie hat for looks (matches the BDUs I wear to the range), but it also helps to keep the SoCal sun off my face and neck.  The sun can be brutal out here around summer time.  It seems to me having the muffs come over and around the hat actually defeats this purpose, so the hat ends up going over the headband.  I do use proper clothing in conjunction with plenty of sunblock.  :wink:  

Rockbilly:

The important thing here, it doesn't matter which one you use, select the one that is most comfortable for you and WEAR THEM. It make no difference what you have if they are left at home. And it doesn't hurt to use a disposable ear plug with them. Heed this advice, and when you reach my age maybe you will still have your hearing.

AMEN to that.

Before I leave for a range session, I make very sure I've got my hearing protection, as well as plenty of other plugs in case someone else forgets theirs.  The extra pairs of plugs I bring have helped someone out so far.  I also double up, that is plugs and muffs, and I don't care how uncomfortable the muffs currently feel with the hat.  My hearing is way more important than any sort of creature comforts IMO.  I do feel for you guys that are unfortunate to have been exposed to either repetitive muzzleblast or other high levels of noise without adequate hearing protection. :cry:

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline rebel49

Peltor Tac 6 w/ Backband
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:44:36 PM »
Patriot:
Yep, I can understand now about the behind the head sytle. I wear a German Army forage cap to work, but the band fits over the top. Good luck with the behind the head style, hope they work for you. As far as the overall preformance of the muffs, I can't say enough about them. In fact I just sold 5 more sets just this week.
Rebel49