Author Topic: Foundry equipment  (Read 809 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Foundry equipment
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »
Hello All,

I've been getting the stuff for my foundry started back up again. Last summer I cast quit a bit of stuff. The sand I use is called Petro Bond. It has oil in it instead of water. When a casting is pored the oil is burned out of the sand that comes in contact with molten metal. When a flask was broken open I carefully scraped out and seporated this burnt sand and saved it. I had 2, 5 gallon buckets of this used sand that needed oil added back into it so it could be used again. The process of conditioning the sand is called Mulling. Here is a picture of the muller I built to do this job.

The sand can't just be mixed it has to be mashed togather. Most mullers use wheels to run over the sand. This one has blades that mush the sand against the side of the muller. This was made from a propane tank and some left over projects. That's why it looks kind of like Frankenstein :-D

Later,
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
Casting what??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:34:48 AM »
What kind of things are you casting and of what material?

Scott

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Foundry equipment
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »
Scott,

Hey I got delayed on yor answer. I have been tinkering with old Hot rod accesories a bit. Mainly aluminum, but expanding into brass. One item I like was called a license plate topper. It bolted on behind the licence plate of your Hot rod to dress it up a bit. I have also made some large emblems for people with Hemi's for their trucks or toolboxes at work and what not. The devil guy on the right is a reproduction. I carved the flames on the Hemi emblem out of wood. The topper with the Doctor symbol was a emblem or something I found on Ebay. It was very old. I cleaned it up a bit and added the mount. I made the USS Tecumseh plaque for my dad for Fathers day. That is the Sub he was on. I finished it up today. If you click for the larger photo you can see the detailes pretty good.

Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Foundry equipment
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »
Those are great Wes.., that tricorn hatted Pirate is calling to me. I could use a few of those !
Rich

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Foundry equipment
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »
I agree with Tropico.... that pirate figure could be right on top of the "gotta have" list.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline claypipe

• Http://www.handgonne.com
Foundry equipment
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »
Quote from: Powder keg
Scott,

Wes, you are no simple metal worker. Artistisan is the only word that comes close!