Author Topic: A fiew questions i couldn't find.  (Read 994 times)

Offline Little Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
A fiew questions i couldn't find.
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »
New Guy talking.
I have searched but couldn't find any thing on this subject.  Please direct me to it if there is a post.
Questions:
1.  Is there an optimal bore Dia. for a particular length of barel?

2.  I want to build a cannon or martar that i can shoot blanks (don't want to kill any one) and give a huge boom that will shake my nighbors house.  Does any one have any dawings of these cannons / mortars. (I have CAD programs)  Something 21 century looking would be cool (smooth and sleek looking).  All that i have found were copies of older cannons and mortars with much detailed curves on the barrel.

I like this sight very much.  Very informative and seems to be friendly compaired to other forums.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:20:46 PM »
Little Guy -

Welcome to the board!

Good question.  Optimal.  Yes and no.  Three categories of artillary, mortars, howitzers and guns - each has a trajectory of it's own.  Mortars are close-in high trajectory, guns are flat shooting (naval guns) longest range of the three, and howitzers are in-between, often capable of shooting both high and low angle (deviding line is the elevation at max range).

The longer the barrel the more efficient the burn (more time).  THe shorter the barrel the louder (generally) because of much unburned powder, also more flash.

There is a general rule of thumb that blank charges are about twice the standard charge for ball.

Several folks here are well experienced at firing blanks.  I may fire one or two a year on selected holidays (because I live in town).
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 02:26:50 PM »
What we've seen in the law is that pre-1899 designs are OK, more modern ones will cost you time and/or money.  (Check out the stickies for further info.)

BUT, look at some of the late-1800's designs, there are some that look 'more modern' than the classic revolutionary/civil war vintage cannons.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »
I this what you are looking for?

http://www.huntingpictures.net/photoview/006126" title="Hosted Free at www.huntingpictures.net">http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/006126" border="0">

http://www.huntingpictures.net/photoview/006459" title="Hosted Free at www.huntingpictures.net">http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/006459" border="0">
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »
Or you could just make or buy a thundermug.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:55:26 PM »
Actually, modern equipment tends toward the blunt; form follows function.  The sleek looking ones are the 1861 Wrought Iron Rifle and the various Rodman coastal guns.  Both have a smoothly flowing shape and only the muzzle is a straight line.  Well, the trunnions are straight, too.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
A very simple design is the Parrot rifle. two Cylinders and a taper.

"21st Century" guns you refer to are not covered in the scope of this board. They also fall under  ATF licensing requirements.  

If you keep following the board board, I am going to be putting up some picture or artillery from the Anglo Boer War and these gund sre very modern appearing-- lots of straight lines.

Offline Little Guy

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
This is great!
Good info.  
Jeeper 1, Thanks for the drawings.  This is exctly what i am looking for.  A very simple design is more apealing in my eyes.
Does any one have a simple drawing of a Parrot rifle.  Full scale is ok.  I would scale it down to make a 1" to 1.5" bore cannon.  I saw one on the forum, i think it  was under the topic of "1" cannon".  I will have to look for it and see if that person will be willing to shair a drawing or a fiew dimentions.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »
A comment about the drawing. The bore is shown with sharp corners, it really need to be radiused with about a 1/4 inch radius. That will make it easier to clean and reduce the risk of a crack starting.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:26:15 AM »
Let me get back to my own computer and see what's there.  I am on the road this week and may not have that drawing on my laptop.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Little Guy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 01:38:04 AM »
jeeper1:
Do both the bore ID and OD need a .25" radius or just the OD?  How would having sharp edges increase the risk of getting a crack in the barel?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03:30 AM »
Sharp radii on INSIDE corners cause 'stress risers'.  They focus all the forces (stress) in one small area (the sharp corner).  By cutting a radius the stresses are spread out; hence it is stronger.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Little Guy

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 02:25:01 AM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for the info.