Author Topic: how far from the lands??  (Read 482 times)

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
how far from the lands??
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
hello, how far from the lands do handi"s like their bullets seated??just wonder what most handi reloaders do.....thanks.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
how far from the lands??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
It probably doesn't matter what they like, I don't know anyone who has a handi barrel that the bullet will reach the lands in and still be stuck in the case.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
how far from the lands??
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »
so do you just try & get reasonably close?? i"m within 0.010 in my 25/06 but man that bullet is way out there...i don't have my col.handy at the moment however i know it's way over...it chamber fine "but" i don"t feel real fuzzy about it-acurracy is so-so...maybe just use the published c.o.l. & work from there??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
how far from the lands??
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
SAAMI published COL is just a standard the makes ammo that will cycle thru actions without any problems and fits in all magazines.

For the most parts, as Larry stated, reaching the lands is an impossible feat in most Handis with few exceptions. The .45-70s are short throated, but most are long, some extremely long in some cases and trying to load just off the lands is futile specially with lighter bullets for caliber, so most just use SAAMI COL and most shoot very well.

My 7x64 Brenneke Handi has 3/8" bullet jump with a 175gr Grand Slam, that's with minimal seating of the bullet depth!! But it shoots factory loaded Federal Nosler Partitions excellent!

I haven't loaded for my .223 Ultra yet, but those that do know that it is one of the deep throats of the Handis, but it still a great shooting caliber using SAAMI COL from all reports.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
how far from the lands??
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »
When I develop loads I make sure the bullet just kisses the lands.  I use steel wool and polish off the marks, seat the bullet .001 deeper etc.  Each time I use the steel wool.  Once the lands are not kissed, I seat .003 deeper.  I then seat the bullets .001 deeper again and again.  So far I have not had to seat more than .010 from the lands before I find the accuracy.  That is assuming the powder likes the bullet and rifle or the other way around. :wink: I haven't tried to develop loads for my .243 Handi yet and am glad to read that the throats are long.  That just might save me some frustration.

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/