Author Topic: South East Idaho  (Read 832 times)

Offline rk4570

• Trade Count: (0)
South East Idaho
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »
I have often thought about going back to S.E. Idaho ( Soda Springs, Bear Lake) to hunt for Trophy Class Bucks, I hunted there in the early 1980s & did very well. Does any one out there hunt in this area? What is it like now? Thanks!! 8)

I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline crow_feather

Re: South East Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
This is my opinon.  The whitetail are taking over a lot of mule deer territory. There are still mullies, but not like before - but isn't that the way it is in most places?  I live in the Rockies north of both places and the white tails are more and more visable.  It seems that the mule deer are staying high in the mountains until the snow forces them out these days.  But they are such pretty animals.  Whittail cannot hold a candle to them.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline rk4570

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »
Crow Feather,
What Deer hunting  units do you go to ? I think I was in unit 76, I will have to get new regs & look it up. What are the chances for non residents? I live in Portland Or. now & am planning a trip for next year. Do you know of any guides in the area, Thanks!!
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:43:09 AM »
I hunted there in the early 90's with my dad and grandfather.  We stayed in Soda Springs and hunted 76 or 78.  Nice country. Good luck!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
I hunt section 62A - there is a controlled hunt there that goes from oct 5th to nov 31 and is either sex.  If you hunt just after the first big snow, then you get a chance at the bigger bucks that are being pused down from the high mountains into the desert and must cross that area.  The trick is being there at the right time.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline lil_deer_hunter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »
I hunt every year in area 76. both the elk and deer hunts are alyas amazing. I cant wiat to go back this fall!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
What is nice to me is seeing the sky from east to west without smog, to see the trout in the bottom of the river as clear as looking through a window.  To breath air pure of contaminants, and be able to look into the eyes of the person walking past you without fear.  It is nice to not have to crawl along at 15 mph on the highway during morning rush hour and when walking into a sportings goods store, be met with a smile, a greeting, and a desire to assist you as best as possible.  It's not just the animals, or the hunt through the woods, it's also the experience of being in Idaho.

(this message brought to you by the Idaho Tourist Board and Crow_Feather)

C F

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 06:28:59 AM »
I hear ya Crow.  The people in Oregon are like this a lot too.  To be honest I think just the state of California is screwed up  along with a few big metropolitan areas in the Western states.  Although when they hear your from California you do get different looks sometimes and they ask questions about why it's so nutty here.