Author Topic: should I stone my locking lugs?  (Read 492 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
should I stone my locking lugs?
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
A while back I bought a factory 6 1/2" .45 Colt barrel.  I shot it some on my old frame, and lockup seemed very positive.  Well, I picked up another frame from my local dealer so I wouldn't have to keep swapping barrels.  The new frame doesn't seem to lockup as tight, and I can see a bit of a gap, maybe .002" between the back of the barrel and the breech face.  You can't force the gun open or anything, but it just doesn't seem as secure as the old frame.  I swapped the locking lugs with another set I have, and it doesn't change.  I notice that the lugs don't appear to have the full contact they did in the old setup.  Do I carefully stone the lugs, or is it anything to worry about?

Offline KN

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
The gap at the breech/barrel is normal. I wouldn't do any thing to it if its not giving you any problems.   KN

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »
KN, thanks for the reply, I thought I had seen this before, and I just handled an Encore in .50 that locks up in the same way.  It's probably that my old frame just seems to lock up so well that it makes this one seem worse than it really is.  There is no movement at all when it is locked, so I guess maybe I should run some rounds through it.  Thanks.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:30:59 AM »
It will let you know if it isn't correctly locked up: The gun won't fire.  If it cocks and fires you are fine.  If not then you need to stone the bolts (lugs).
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »
Keith, thanks for the reply, I didn't know T/C set them up that way.  It does indeed cock and fire.  I just adjusted the trigger and overtravel last night, and will shoot it soon.  Thanks.