Author Topic: The Rundown: Uberti-60'  (Read 675 times)

Offline coltnavy36

• Trade Count: (0)
The Rundown: Uberti-60'
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »
The rundown.........
As I mentioned in a previous post about the new 60 Army Uberti, I got from Taylors, it had become a totally new project.
So, things changed course so much,,, that I thought about making a new thread, because this deals with the tricks and techniques of acquiring a new Uberti, and how to solve problems that WILL arise when you receive your new treasure.
Not specifically siting ALL pistols out there. But there are sometimes a few that might have been made on a 'said' Italians lunch break, which may need tweaking when you get them.
So here goes;
First, let me go into detail about the problems that came with my particular pistol.
1.-This was not Taylors fault, but Uberti's-I had ordered the fluted model, but recieved the standard engraved cylinder model----Uberti had boxed engraved cylinder guns into boxes which were labeled as fluted, and this messed up more than just my own purchase I'm sure. This was a surprise. But, I took it as an omen, and wanted to keep the one recieved, as it grew on me, and the wood grain was perfect, and curly-pity I'll swap out for ivory soon-it's hard to say goodbye.
Actually, it is turning out well.
2.-The pin that retains the loading lever latch fell out.....--quick fix: I use a small wire nail, and push it through, clip it off, and peen it over neatly, making a new head, then carefully file and sand it down neatly with a hand polish. Looks better than factory.
3.-Loading lever catch that is dovetailed into bottom of barrel-it fell out....
Quick fix:insert into dovetail-then using a small punch, punch the dovetail to tighten and squeeze it in. Not very noticeable-just the way you would squeeze shut any dovetail.
4.-Misfires every other shot-this is a few factors: First attempt to fix this problem involved chamfering the nipples-this improved it a bunch, but still had about one misfire out of six.
Second attempt----ordered a set of six Tresco-Ampco nipples 12-28 threads. These fit Uberti small frames, not Walkers or Dragoons.
Still awaiting package in mail.
5.-Believe it or not-cylinder arbor was loose when recieved. Quick fix, but will come back later and use a permanent fix--I punched the arbor around the axis pin until it tightened, from moving any-this puts a binding on the inside. A more permanent fix would be to take out the axis pin, and lock-tite or solder, and replace pin. Might go for this later, but trust me, this is not as serious a problem as some think. As long as your arbor is screwed in it won't leave the gun, as long as the axis pin is in place-the bottom of the frame joining the barrel is the alignment. It will not move.
However, there is always that feeling you get, which means having it RIGHT, so this will be permanantly fixed in a few days. I suggest everyone get this permanantly fixed if they have this problem.
6.-Chamber mouths shaved lead too much for my likes-they have been chamfered. I use, for most of my chamfering jobs, a 'simple' Lyman case deburrer. Then, I move to fine, FINE sandpaper, and smooth it all out.
Not that it needs much smoothing, as the Lyman tool really does NEAT work.
7.-The mainspring was too weak-I replaced it with an Army mainspring from another 60' I found in my parts box. Seems heavy enough now-real good.

Next week-same thread-I'll be fixing the arbor, and nipples, fitting checkered ivory grips, and a new dovetailed front sight. Should look nice on a charcoal blue model.
Oh, and PHOTO'S! Can't forget those.

Stay tuned....

So, if you recieve a Uberti with only one problem, or better yet none, then be happy.
But, this is just one more example of why I treat every NEW arrival as a KIT in and of its-self.
I consider it enjoyable this way, and the finished guns are ALWAYS better.
Believe it or not.

--coltnavy36--
"They REALLY lived."
     ---Secondhand Lions---

Offline long

• Trade Count: (0)
The Rundown: Uberti-60'
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »
common problems you mention and good common sense approach to fixing them.
You may find that the dovetailed latch on the barrel (lever retainer) continues to walk out of the dovetail. I have this on two of them and finally resorted to a dab of J&b weld to keep them from walking. There is apparently quite a bit stress out there at the end of the barrel and it can undo your peening job.

Also be aware that the little locator pins in the bottom front of the frame sometimes fall out during cleaning.  Punching the holes tighther seems to be a long term fix for this.  

I bought my Uberti Army in a local store.  It has the fluetted c ylinder.  If a standard engraved cylinder gun had been there I would have bought it. The one I did buy shoots so good I'm glad there wasn't one in the store to stear me away from it.  You will probably find the stronger spring will fix your misfire problems.  Mine is so light in the mainspring department that it is relible only with remington caps.  ccI caps require a much heaver hammer hit for reliable ignition.  the treso cones often fix hammer blowbak problems and even if you don't have that, you will probably be glad you bought them anyway.