Author Topic: New contender owner  (Read 784 times)

Offline MWells

• Trade Count: (3)
New contender owner
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:48:03 AM »
I am officially in the club now. Father's day weekend I went to the gun show and found a new/unfired G2 with a 10 inch 44 mag bbl, a 14 inch 7-30 waters bbl, a soft sided case for the gun and barrels, a box of ammo for each caliber, 100 pieces of 7-30 brass, and dies for the 7-30. I have already reloaded a few 7-30 rounds using 120 sierra spt over h322 (can't remember charge). I do have a couple of questions.

I have looked at a possible trigger job, but don't know if I really need to spend that money for my purpose. The rig will be for casual plinking, lots of practice, and hunting. Any thoughts there?

Any suggestions on loads for either caliber? I plan on loading the 44 mag as well. The 44 mag may see duty as a hog gun, but plan on deer hunting with the 7-30 waters.

I ordered a Weaver 2x fixed power pistol scope. Has anyone used this scope, impressions?

I have only shot the 44 mag, it was my first time with anything bigger than a .357, and I am hooked. I really enjoyed the range day with the big bore, and look forward to my next trip. I wasn't shooting for groups, just trying to get to know the gun a little. Hopefully I will have the other barrel scoped up and see what they both can do.

I really value the info that I have found here and respect your opinions. I am glad to be in the contender family now.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
New contender owner
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »
As far as powder in the .44 Mag., I like Win. 296/H110.

I think the triggers on Contenders are pretty good without any reworking.

Offline swampthing

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:23:20 AM »
Ah now your cooking with fire.
  Took a nice 190lb boar in April with my .44mag, 12" Encore.
I use hard cast LBT, 280g WFN GC bullets sized to .432" dia from www.montanabulletworks.com and  www.beartoothbullets.com as well. On that day I used AA#5, no need for H110 with this slug, and the 280g bullet. A small charge of this gave me 1280fps, perfect for this bullet and big hogs, although 1150-1200fps is more than enough for inside 100yds. Consistant one ragged hole groups at 50yds. I won't say exact charge but 11.5g is a good starting point with CCI 300 non magnum primers.
  I have no experience wit the 7mm let us know how it works for you

Offline MWells

New contender owner
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:19:10 AM »
That sounds like a place to start with the 44. I was looking at the RCBS carbide dies. Any thoughts there? Do you have your 44 scoped? I am shooped open sights right now, but could possibly scope it down the road. Any suggestios on the scope? I saw some good reviews for the Bushnell Trophy 2x6.

I have looked at the beartooth bullets. That is where I want to start for the hog load. I have some, no lots of practie before I am ready to chase a hog. But it will be fun getting there.

Offline swampthing

• A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 03:24:38 PM »
I use the RCBS carbide. A hint with loading cast bullets is to use an expander die that is.0005"-.001" Under Bullet Dia. I ordered a custom .4315" expander plug from RCBS, it took about 2 weeks and was absolutly worth the $20 bucks! If your lucky though, some sizer dies leave the inside dia of the case mouth at .430" ,{like my buddies'}, and has proved to be "good enough." Mine sized a case to .425" thus necesataing the custom plug.
   I shoot open sights, only way to go in my book. My bud used a fixed  2X leupold and it frustrated him when he was "Trying" to shoot the moving boar, he now shoots peep sights on his revolver.
   If you do call beartooth ask for Marshal and his thoughts on AA#5,
  in that contender of yours 1200-1250fps should be easy. Low report, low recoil, accurate, low cost, and plenty of power for questionable shot angles.
  Good luck and have fun.

Offline MWells

New contender owner
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:00:59 AM »
Thanks Swampthing. I was researching some of the peep sights at Williams, but I was wondering how well they would work on the 10 inch bbl, holding out away from the body. I searched here and they seem to get mixed reviews. I am going to order the bearthtooth bullets this week. I will talk to Marshal about load recomendations. I wonder if I can order the dies directlt from RCBS and ge the larger expander and save a little cost up front? I'll work on it and see.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 07:02:15 AM »
MWells,

I had a 44 Magnum barrel and finally had it rechambered to 445SM.  Regardless, I was shooting the Lyman 429650 bullet (315 grains) and a hefty charge of H-110 or WC-820.  Both shot 1.5” at 100 yards.  I was hoping for better, but I never achieved it.  I also was shooting the 44-250K bullet (Keith style @ 260 grains) using fast burners such as Green Dot powder.  I really never got good accuracy with this bullet at higher velocities than say, 925± fps.  That is about the same velocity that my Ruger SRH shoots it good at also.  These bullets are shot “as cast” which makes them at around 0.4315”.  I use the expander that came with the RCBS carbide dies—I have had no problem with it opening cases enough to accept cast bullets.  A nice bell on the case mouth is essential though.  It is interest that the 445SM chamber also shoots the 44 Magnum bullets quite well.
The 7-30 Waters is the most accurate cast shooter I have with a Contender. I am shooting the Lyman 287346 (135 grains) at a velocity of 2140 fps and it is a better than M.O.A. shooter at ranges to 250 yards.  I just shot a 3-shot group at 200 yards the other day and it measured 1.64” center to center.  I am using H-335 or WC-844 powder.  H-335 has always been my choice of powder for the Waters.  It shoots the Hornady 120 SSPSP bullet equally as well and I have taken a couple of deer at ranges of less than or equal to 130± yards.  No problems whatsoever.
As far as ‘scopes go—you can not have too much ‘scope in my opinion.  I use variables.  My Waters has a Burris 4x-12x and it makes shooting groups at 250 yards doable.  For closer work as you indicate with the hog hunting, a low power variable would be my preference.
I have never seen a Contender that had much of a trigger.  The older models were at least adjustable and the pull could be lowered to a couple of pounds.  This may be too light for hunting except for rest hunting a woodchucks or something like that.  I purchased a used Contender in 223 cartridge and I sent the trigger away for some serious work.  I won’t mention the name of the person who did the work.  It is an exceptional trigger now.  It breaks at right around a pound and that is perfect for long shots on groundhogs.  Several I have taken at distances of up to 246 yards (distances know—rangefinder used).  It too is topped with a Burris 4x-12x ‘scope.
Good-luck with your Contender…BCB

Offline swampthing

• A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 10:08:25 AM »
If you can try to remove or "pull" a cast bullet after it has been seated then measure the dia. and you'll see why I suggest the custom expander plug. Even with "hardcast" the bullet will be swaged down a couple thousanths. If the inside dia. of a sized case is more than a couple of thousanths under the bullet dia. the bullet will be swaged down by the loading process. Now the bullet has to be obturated more to make good contact with the throat and grooves for accuracy, as compared to a bullet that is unaffected by the loading process and is already throat dia.
       In my revolver they were swagged so much that the part of the bullet in the case had very little grip on the brass. This resulted in bullets that jumped crimp regardless of load intensity or amount of crimp applied. The custom expander plug solved this plus increased the overall uniformity of the loads. Crimp jumping is not a problem for a single shot, but, the uniformity afforded by good case/crimp tension will help you wring out the accuracy potential of the load your shooting.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:22:13 PM »
swampthing,

You may indeed be correct in that the bullet does get “sized-down” as it is put into the case.  With the exception of a couple of my Keith style cast bullets and a full wadcutter, my cast bullets all sport gaschecks.  I suspect that the check does help to eliminate some of the extra sizing as the bullet is seated, in that, I think the check helps to open the case a bit.  I size only the check enough to set it into the bullet—the rest of the bullet remains “as cast”.  I may try a neck expander of a bit larger diameter then what comes with the RCBS dies just out of curiosity.  Yet, I suppose the difference in accuracy will not be noted with the Keith style bullets and any help with accuracy with the other slugs will probably not be noted either.  The reason being, I don’t think I am capable of shooting and noticing minuscule improvements in accuracy—I ain’t shooting them from bench rest weaponry!!!  Still, the oversized expander may be worth a try…BCB

Offline swampthing

• A Real Regular
New contender owner
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »
Yeah... with these single shots the accuracy improvement may only be miniscule, but... some times that little improvement turns certain loads in to shooters by eliminating flyers. I'm noticing the area between the gas check and crimp groove... is swaged, not good, as this is practically the whole bearing surface.  {imagine if there was no gas check} I would measure the inside dia. of a sized case before I spent any money... if the case measured .430+" ID, I wouldn't bother.
  I think this is why RCBS now offers "cowboy dies" in .44 cal. with .429" expander plugs. The standard carbide set has a .425" plug.

Offline wheelgun

• Contributor
good rounds
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 02:38:55 AM »
Both of them are great calibers in a contender.I have a 44 in a 14" barrel that shoots great with w-296 and about any bullet.I had two 7-30 barrels but I traded one for a 30-30 barrel.Just my opinion but the 7-30 is one of the best rounds for deer.Easy to reload,forming brass easy and very accurate.Once you get that 7-30 set up with a scope you will be very happy. :grin: