Author Topic: Bad Day  (Read 384 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Bad Day
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
Got a call this morning at 6am.  Security service for my bank calling to ask if I had my ATM/Check Card?  "Yes".    Have I made any purchases in France recently?  "No".    Someone just bought $77.94 in gas and made a $880.00 cash withdrawel from my account using my Debit card.  With your permmision we would like to cancel your card.  "Do it"!    Got to go to the bank.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DWTim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Bad Day
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »
That's exactly why I will never use a bank card to purchase anything where there isn't a direct line between me and the bank handling the transaction. A lot of online retailers retain credit card information, which IMO, should be illegal. There are a lot of sloppy programmers out there, and a lot of fraud has happened as a result. So the credit issuers added that three digit verification code. The stupid retailers are recording that, too.

Now the banks change the verification code with every re-issue, and provide monitoring as an add-on service.

Sorry to hear you've been e-robbed, my friend. I hope your bank is a good one, and they offer to cover this crime through depositor insurance. At least with a credit card, you can dispute it. Here's to hoping the matter is resolved in your favor!

Offline marylandeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:28:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Sourdough. The same thing happened to me but a lot less money was stolen from me. I noticed an unusual debit tranaction while reviewing my statement. I knew something was up with it because it was a persons' name and not a buisness name like all of the others. To make it more fishy it was an Arabic name  Afif Jabir I think it was.
I called the bank and asked if they could help identify where I spent this $40.00 that went to Afif Jabir, they said all they could tell is that I used my debit card in Syria. I said no way, wasn't me and they new this because I made local purchases just before and just after the tranaction in question. They said they would do some further investigation and call me back. An hour latter they called me back and confirmed that it was fraud and the individuall was under investigation. They also found 4 other $40.00 withdraws from months back from this same maggot that I never even notice. Bank of America instantly replaced the $200.00 in stolen funds. They also locked the account and sent me new cards. I never heard anything more from the bank nor have I ever figured out how he got my card #.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
Got back from the bank.  My debit card is a Visa check card, so vise is insuring the card.  I am not going to be held responsiable for the charges.  The bank said they will reimberse me and remove the charges.  They think this might have happened when a bunch of high school kids went to France last month.  Most were carrying ATM cards from the same bank that I deal with.  Some of the kids had their purses stolen with their ATM cards.  Someone then started running the cards using random numbers till they got a hit, then started charging items.  They got lucky and hit my number.  Problem for me is they cleaned out my checking account and half my savings account.  Now I have to wait for the bank to put it back, and all the checks written that will hit before they do will have to be held till they get it straightened out.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.