Author Topic: 7mm-08, or 308?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
7mm-08, or 308?
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
I've been thinking lately about getting another handi rifle.  Either the standard 7mm-08, or a .308 survivor(which I had one of before).  I don't have any experience with the 7mm-08 cartridge, but it does intrigue me.  The survivor I had before while it shot good, was just too expensive to shoot(I didn't reload at that point, but do now).  I was wondering what you fellas opinions were as to the most accurate, or your experiences one way or the other with these cartridges.  With whatever I choose, I will use it with light bullets for groundhogs in Ohio, and with heavier bullets for deer, and possibly bear in Michigan, and possibly boars or something bigger farther down the road.  Also, if I get the survivor, it's getting switched to a regular stock anyhow.  Anyhow, that should start enough talk, thanks ahead for your help.

~~~Amos :D
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:26:43 AM »
308 too expensive to shoot?  :?  Ammo for it is usually cheaper than the 7-08. But if you load your own then that equals it up quite a bit. I haven't heard many reports from 7-08 owners, but the small bit I have has been ok. Most all owners of the 308 Survivor have been very happy with it's performance. And it's another of the better shooting calibers in a Handi.
I would opt for another Survivor, sell or trade the stock to one of the members here, and enjoy  8)
-Aaron

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:58:23 PM »
When I had the survivor rifle, I was still in college, and money was really tight then...still is for that matter.  I like to reload now, not only to keep me busy and out of trouble, but also to be able to shoot alot more for the same amount of money...any other opinions?

~~~Amos

Offline DPRinks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
CS;
Reloading is a door to all sorts of new experiences, just pay attention and have fun.
D. Rinks

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »
CS

I've been looking at the numbers and the 308 has the advantage of lighter and heavier bullets going for it , but all in all the both will work for what you want .

Were it me i'd go with the 308 just for the fact of being able to pick up factory ammo if needed .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
I have both, just prefer the 7-08 for deer. Also, I shoot a 15" Encore pistol that's a 7-08.

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 07:02:54 AM »
This is a splitting hairs sort of choise I shot 308 for may years (my first gun was a Isralli converted k98) I shot everything from fox to bears. To be honest I would be hard pressed to find a practical difference between them.  308 has the edge energy wise but 7-08 has the edge ballistically. but in both cases the edge is slim.

As a deer/bear gun oth would serve you well I give the 308 a nudge for the bigger stuff and the same difference for 7-08 on the varmint side.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: 7mm-08, or 308?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 08:21:48 AM »
This is a splitting hairs sort of choise I shot 308 for may years (my first gun was a Isralli converted k98) I shot everything from fox to bears. To be honest I would be hard pressed to find a practical difference between them.  308 has the edge energy wise but 7-08 has the edge ballistically. but in both cases the edge is slim.

As a deer/bear gun oth would serve you well I give the 308 a nudge for the bigger stuff and the same difference for 7-08 on the varmint side.

I don't think I could improve on that comparison of these 2 fine rounds.

That being said & we know that both rounds will do the job, let's
look at the economic factors.
If you look at factory ammo, the cost for new ammo coming out of the factories will be similar, but in out of the way places you
can find old 308 ammo on the shelf at lower prices. For ammo just to shoot paper, bust rocks, just to shoot, you can get 308 Mil, not so with 7-08.
When it comes to reloads, the cost diff. between say 140gr. 7mm bullets & 150gr. 308 bullets is very small & you use the same primers & allmost the same amt. of powder. But you can get cheap 308 brass all day long if you look for it. Sitting right beside my computer is a box of 7.62 brass that an old Warrior gave me. When it comes to brass, there is no comparison & even with non-mil. brass you can go to  powdervalleyinc.com  & get a super deal.
When it comes to info about the 308, go to 6mmbr.com/308Win.html       & you can stay busy there for awhile.

For your situation I believe the 308 would be hard to beat.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 07:41:07 PM »
Well, I decided to be a bit different, and go with the 7mm-08.  Heck, I hunt with a .41 mag. pistol, why not get a rifle a bit different too.  I ran into a problem with the rings/scope combo though.  In the past with handi rifles I've used high weaver quad rings, and had just enough clearance at the back end.  I got a 3-9x40 bushnell trophy mildot scope for this one, but the quad rings are a bit too short for this scope.  What would be another type to try out that are a bit taller?  I know some of you like the burris or millet rings, anyone out there that might be able to help?  Thanks.

~~~Amos

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 06:38:45 AM »

Cattle skinner, I use on most of my Handi's Is leopold Rifleman High rings.
 Never had any trouble, they are about 16 dollars at Wally World.
 Good Luck Marv.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »
I use the Lupies also..........

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »
Poncaguy,

What kind of groups does your 7mm-08 shoot, and what kind of ammo do you use if you don't mind me asking?

~~~Amos

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
For the non Reloader the 308 is the way to go. Bargans galore for the 308.
Not so for the 7mm-08. For a reloader the choice is whatever turns your crank.

308 brass is easy to turn into 7-08. As a matter of fact 7mm-08 brass can be made from all sorts of available brass. Such as 30-06, 7x57. 270. 280 what ever you have the most of. Also milsurp 308 will do very nice with one crank on the
press.

I make 7mm-08AI from Lapua 30-06 for its outstanding uniformity and longivity.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 08:13:29 PM »

Well...since you went with the 7-08..you'll just have to let us know how it shoots for you.. :D...That being said...I think the 7-08 is a very underated cartridge..and will serve you well in the Handi...Those that have them..really seem to like them a-lot...I opted for it's big brother the 280 be cause of the longer 26" barrel..it shoots like a dream with those cheap ole Remington corelocks...so I would just try some of them...in 08' ofcourse :D....My prefered scope rings are the Leupold QWR's ..they certainly are pricey..but to me are wrth every penny for them...Many others prefere the Burris Signiature rings with the plastic inserts to keep from scratching the scope too...

Keep us posted on how you new Handi shoots

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
Poncaguy,

What kind of groups does your 7mm-08 shoot, and what kind of ammo do you use if you don't mind me asking?

~~~Amos

Cattleskinner........Mine shoots MOA...........it's a heavy barrel Handi