Author Topic: Going to the range with your wife: Yes or No?  (Read 983 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Going to the range with your wife: Yes or No?
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:53:49 AM »
What if your wife was interested in target shooting or plinking? Would it improve your hobby? Or would it take away the one sancutary that gives you a bit of time to yourself and perhaps your male buddies?

In my case, the answer is probably no.
Safety first

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:26:45 AM »
Great quesions!  My wife is my best friend and I absolutely love it when she joins me at range.  The same is true with fishing.  I would rather fish with her than anyone else.  The expression on her face when she does well at the range or catches a nice fish -- priceless!

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:36:46 AM »
Like Shootnst8 my wife is my best friend also and I wish we did share more outdoor interests. We both work long hours and enjoy what time we have to spend together but I like to get outside and do things where as she is more of a home body, preferring to stay in and read a book or watch the tube.   She has shot with me occasionally but is not nearly as excited about it as I am.  She will accompany me fishing once in a while but will take a book along to read and does not fish.  She has no problem with me hunting and enjoys eating wild game but has no interest in going hunting herself.  Bout the best I can get her to do outdoors with me is some hiking and canoeing.   :(   I've just started playing golf and hope that maybe I can interest her in that.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
Brett:

Are you sure you aren't me and that you're not married to my wife?  That sums up our relationship rather exactly when it comes to the outdoors.

Q.
Safety first

Offline shermbob

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:44:47 AM »
:roll: I love it when I can get my wife out on the range. BUT she out shoots me with everything we own 22/44mag. Just wish I could get her out more often. (Maybe she could show me how to shoot.)
shermbob

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 06:46:22 AM »
Everytime I take my wife to the range she outshoots me.  :grin:
Once at the range I was shooting my 40 cal and she was standing behind me and to my right, and a hot case dropped down the front of her blouse. I dint know she could do all those dance steps.  :-D  She quickly learned to stand to my lef behind me. But she's my buddy and still goe's shooting with me.

Gun Runner

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 06:59:07 AM »
Interesting question Questor.  My wife has indicated an interest in shooting in the last year or so - I was thrilled!  Don't get me wrong, I do have my buddies with whom I get together and we shoot/hunt and she respects that.  But I'm always more than happy to take her along.  I also agree with the previous post about her being a best friend - I too have that type of relationship with her.  Now if you look at it from a really selfish point of view I would still support bringing her along.  Why?  Now she sees first hand the joy that shooting sports bring and how much it means to me.  Sooo, when I see something that should become part of my collection I can tell you first hand that it is no longer the hard sell it used to be.  At the rate I'm going I have a second safe in my future! :-D

Chuck :cb1:

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 07:16:55 AM »
Quote from: Questor
Brett:

Are you sure you aren't me and that you're not married to my wife?  That sums up our relationship rather exactly when it comes to the outdoors.

Q.

Hmmm... Pretty sure I'm not you Q.  The reason I know that is that I'm pretty sure I did not wake up in Bermuda this morning.... though I like the sound of it.  :D   I've been married to my sweetheart for 22 years, been shooting somewhere around 32 years, fishing longer than that.  How about you?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 07:25:57 AM »
My wife likes to go to the range with me, but has no intrest in shooting. Always takes a book along or wanders around behind me looking for brass.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: Going to the range with your wife: Yes or No?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 10:08:25 AM »
Taking my wife to the range and hunting has cost me several good guns and lots of ammo. She decides the guns are "hers", I have to load the ammo and clean the guns when we get home. But then she cooks dinner:-)  She is also quite the hunter and camper. I wouldn't want it any other way!

Larry Gibson

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
My wife is always welcome to accompany me to the range. She has a CCW and likes to shoot for maybe an hour or so. After that she picks up every usable piece of brass on the range! That's no small feat, one of my clubs is 90 acres!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SoftPoint

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 02:19:25 PM »
Yes, in fact we both took our personal protection class together, applied for ccw permits, and regularly practice at the range. Been doing it since 1993. Great shooting companion. I like it better that with the guys. I dont feel pressured, and I dont pressure her.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »
I've been married 27 years and my wife has never gone to the range with me. I have asked but she has no interest in shooting. It is actually benificial, it gives us both a little time to ourselves. Oh yeah I can go out and buy a new gun and she could never tell the difference....Jim

Offline musicman10_1

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
My wife likes the range for a limited amount of time.  After about 90 minutes she is ready to go.  When she feels like it, I pack a few guns and ammo and make a quick trip to an indoor range.  When she doesn't feel like it, or when I need to practice for a hunt, I go to an outdoor range and spend all the time I need to without her.  

I like that she wants to practice with her gun and enjoys it for a limited amount of time.  She also likes to camp and fish and that makes for a great relationship.  She shares time with me and also lets me take the extra time that I need by myself.
John

Guns & Guitars

Offline Dune

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »
It took my wife a couple of years before she came with me shooting, now she loves it, she has her own guns now, she took a 3 day handgun class with a girlfriend last year and is planning for something else right now. it has definetly improved my hobby, we still have range time, shooting time and hunting time we spend apart, but i do enjoy it when she is joining me.   Dune

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 05:49:12 AM »
:D Not only my wife, but the kids also went to the ranger with me for years.  It provided an opportunity to give them training on firearms, teach them to shoot, and served as a family outing that we all enjoyed.  Now I have grand kids going to the range with me, the wife is not as eager as she once was, but will still go if I insist. If I mention going fishing, she is loading the boat before I get my hat. :grin: Sometimes just the company makes for a better range session or fishing trip. :wink:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 11:31:31 AM »
Faye owns several guns of her own. She used to go to the range with me to shoot often and has even shot in competition once herself. It was a wives and girlfriends match for the ladies of us guys who were competing regularly. BTW she took first place in the match. She went to the skeet range with me regularly for years but never took a liking to the game so didn't shoot, she just watched.

I never saw where it took away from my shooting to have her there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »
I would love for my wife to come to the range with me. She use to shoot but she is not a die hard like me.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jrhen

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
I would be in trouble if I didnt' take her to the range with me.  She loves to shoot her Colt AR-15 and then some pistol shooting.  She also has her CCW and practices drawing from concealment.  Picks up her brass and then some to keep the reloading press fed.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »
I tried to get my wife into shooting...She never bit.  Too bad too...I would love to take her to the range...The only downfall is that she would probably outshoot me in no time...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 06:54:04 AM »
My wife was raised in an anti-gun environment. She knew I was pro-gun when we met. After we tied the knot, I introduced her to the wonderful world of firearms, and she has enjoyed shooting them ever since; as long as they don't kick too hard that is.  :-)
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 06:33:07 AM »
I have been trying to find something my wife and I can do together. She hated golf, not going to subject her to the testosterone fest that is deer hunting. Took her shooting and she loved it, then one day it dawned on her that guns can be very dangerous and she hasn't wanted to go since. She does like fishing though.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »
My first date with several women was a trip to the range, a few outshot me, then eased my bruised ego by telling me what a great teacher I was.  Taking loved ones to the range is a good experience and a good idea......if you're not there when the poo-poo flies, it's nice to know they can clean up the mess themselves! 

And since I only take one or two people with me, the kids used to fight over who got to go.  I miss those days, the little buggers all grew up and got too busy. 

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »
take her. Ive never seen where spending time doing something you both enjoy ever hurt a relationship.
blue lives matter

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 06:01:03 PM »
Been married to the same wife for a little over 39 years now, and take her to the range with me whenever she wants to go.  I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting, and she don't. But she goes to every shoot with me just to watch and make sure I don't have any problems getting arround, sometimes she pushes my gun cart from stage to stage for me, on the bad days. I had a little stroke a couple years ago and she worries about me. 

She  can regulary out shoot me with most pistols, but don't like long guns at all.  She's been shooting with me from  way before we got married and is not only my wife, but my best friend, too.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 05:41:24 AM »
I wish mine would gp with me more often. She does well but doesn't want to be aound others when she shoots. I guess she feels they're watching for mistakes.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein