Author Topic: ENCORES AND TREESTANDS  (Read 864 times)

Offline Yel95

• Trade Count: (0)
ENCORES AND TREESTANDS
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:43:57 AM »
Took my 270 encore to the hunting club this weekend to practice shooting from my climber stand.  Do you guys have a techique to help hold steady on targets?  I shot freehand and did really good but not as accurate as I want to be.  What do you suggest?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
ENCORES AND TREESTANDS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »
Put a shooting rail on the tree stand or use a shooting stick. I put shooting rails on all my tree stands.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
ENCORES AND TREESTANDS
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
I use a summit climbing stand and it has a padded bar in front. I keep my seat low enough so I can use the rail as a shooting rest. do not rest the barrel it's self on the bar.
You can get an old ski pole and make it into a shooting stick, you will need the large round foot on the ski pole to keeep it from slipping between the slots on the stand.

I also use a ez hanger that I screw into the tree close to me and I use a very heavy duty wire tie ran trough the rear sling swivel to go over the ez hanger hook. this keeps the handgun very handy and I can move it around if needed.

Offline palgeno

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
shooting from a stand
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
A rest is absolutely necessary for me when shooting an Encore pistol. Encores are just a little large for me. I like to  rig an Uncle Bud's Bull Bag to shoot from. I was able to take a 225 yard deer with my Encore .308 pistol from the bag and it was not a difficult shot to make because of the stability of the set up. I know, this is more like being a deer sniper than a deer hunter and I agree. But it was a clean kill---bang-flop. No lost or wounded game. My most rewarding kills have been still hunting while sneaking through the woods. But I usually hunt public land and a guy might just get shot doing that in Wisconsin. (I never worried about that in South Carolina.) My G2 and Contenders get an improvised rest or shooting sticks. Gene
"Do what you can,with what you have, where you are."  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hawkeye

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: ENCORES AND TREESTANDS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
I used a stick I cut that is forked on one end and about 5' long in 2005. I could rest one end on the toe of my boot where my foot was resting on a step of my ladder stand and put the pistol in the fork. You can usually rest your elbows on your knee or on the side rail of a stand to steady the shot. I'm too cheap to buy one of those shooting sticks when I can just cut one and besides I leave them laying places when hunting on the ground and then can't find them.
I made a 225yd shot and a 140yd shot with my 6.5 Rem Mag Encore last year on two whitetails. Very steady to shoot from. I even used the stick one day while walking. I just knelt down and put my hand around the stick and rested the barrel on my hand, against the stick and made a shot on a coyote. The Stoney Point single shooting stick is great. I tried one of my buddies and it worked just like my hickory stick. I have two or three now banging around in the back of my truck.
If you have a rail on your stand that is good also.
Good luck on your hunting.

Mike
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!