Author Topic: 210 barnes X for 375 jdj  (Read 385 times)

Offline hoser1268

• Trade Count: (1)
210 barnes X for 375 jdj
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
Hey guys,

I recently heard about an artical by JD Jones about using the 210gr Barnes X bullets in the 375 JDJ pistol.  It was my understanding that JD didn't recommend Barnes bullets in the contender.  Has anyone here tried these bullets? I would like to.
I think they would be great for big game.  I'm just wondering if they will expand at the lower velocities. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert...
One shot one kill.

Offline TCBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 210 barnes X for 375 jdj
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
I just recently got dies from him and he specifically recomends not using the barnes bullets. Even in the carbine with quite a bit more velocity they do not expand and the pressures go up very fast. I am currently testing loads with 200 sierras, 225 sp hornardys and 260 nosler accubond. I have ordered a new recoil pad before shooting any more, I am shooting it in a carbine.  Thought about the pistol barrel, but thought I would use the big JDJ more in a rifle. The current load with the 260s is a real thumper. SSKs data shows them getting 2532 with a 270 hornardy and varget in the rifle barrel and I think around 2200 in the 14" barrel. That is a mean load, I am working with H4895, IMR 4064 and starting tommorow, varget. Should be able to do the velocities of the 270 hornady with the 260 accubond just as easily. I will report the findings when all done. I am really excited about the Nosler accubonds. Besides looking cool with those big white tips, they are supposed to expand down to fairly low velocities, but hold together much better than a ballistic tip. They are the most accurate bullet by far in my barrel so far. The factory stuff with the 220 hornardys doesn't shoot well at all in my barrel. Kind of disappointing considering there $30 a box.

Good shooting,
Brian

Offline hoser1268

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 210 barnes X for 375 jdj
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »
Brian,

Another good powder for the 375 is AA 2520.  That is what I use.  I have been loading the 220 hornady FP for a while before they came out with it in a factory round.  It is very accurate in my pistol and my T/C carbine barrel. I wanted to use the Barnes bullet because I'm going on a bear hunt and wanted a good bullet.  I think that I'm going to try the Hornady 225 spire points and see how they do.

Thanks,

Rob...
One shot one kill.