Author Topic: Ultra slug and open sights  (Read 665 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Ultra slug and open sights
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:40:21 AM »
Has anyone ever put open sights on their ultra slug?  If so, what did you use?  I love the gun, but it weighs enough as is before adding a scope. 

Thanks

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Ultra slug and open sights
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »
I don't own a Ultra Slug(YET), but I did have some crazy ideas a while back.  WHAT IF'S, if you will.  What if you shortened the barrel to 20 or 22 inches?  What if you put a Williams Peeper on it?  Those sorts of ideas...Kinda gets ya thinkin'!!  Personnally, I like the idea of open sights on an USH...

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
The Williams WGRS Peep sight will mount into the two rear scope base holes, then it's just a matter of installing a front sight. You would have to measure to get the correct sight height unless you get lucky. If you want a shorter barrel they make the 20 ga youth barrel that would help lighten it up a bit.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 07:42:09 AM »
Cookieman, I love that idea too.  I have always thought that several of the Handis would do well if offered in shorter barrels (44, 4570, 500, 12 guage slug).  I actually had an ultraslug before, but traded it for the new 12 guage rossi (it comes with sights and holds well). I hunted with my ultraslug, but the scope just made it less handy.  I prefere the heavy weight Brenneke slugs and also have slugs from Dixie slug, so I have no need for a scope anyhow.  But I have always liked the ultraslug, this may well be a project for the future. 

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:15 PM »
YEAH !!!  I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »
If you're worried a bit about the extra weight of a scope and mount - remove the steel bar from the stock of the USH.  I removed mine and like the balance and handling of the gun much better now.  BTW - I have a Leupold VX1 2-7 shotgun scope on mine.