Author Topic: lyman digital powder scale  (Read 562 times)

Offline hvacman

• Trade Count: (0)
lyman digital powder scale
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:21:16 AM »
I am thinking of buying a lyman digital powder scale, the one that automatically throws a charge. i would like to hear if anyone has one and how it works before I drop a couple hundred bucks.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »
It works great..it's accurate..fast..and repeatable..just follow the directions in it and you will enjoy it a-lot..I've had mine now going on 2years..and it is a very good investment..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline hvacman

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:28:29 AM »
Thanks Mac. Thats the info I was looking for.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »
I have one at Mac's recommendation, but after reading this review and working with the DPS1200, I'd buy the RCBS Chargemaster Combo if I was buying one now if I could get it on sale, if not, I'd wait!  The RCBS costs more, but it's faster and easier to clean. Midsouth has the best regular price that I've seen, it has been on sale for $240 a time or two.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Lyman
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 02:59:45 PM »
Just bought the Lyman.  Was going to buy the RCBS but after catching it on sale, the Lyman, brought it home.  Been very happy so far....

Offline hvacman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »
thanks Quick, good article and good advice. I only wish MidSouth had them in stock

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »
Well, buy one from Natchez!! It's on sale for $240...I knew I saw it somewhere!!!

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC98923&src=ba208

I got my Lyman for less than $200 shipped, but I still wish I had known more about it and got the RCBS, everyone that has bought one that I've read about has been real happy with it, not so with the Lyman, although it works fine, it's just much slower and a pain to clean out compared to the RCBS. Dunno if the RCBS has the problem, but a kernel of powder between the deck and pad will cause you to pull your hair out with erratic readings!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 07:54:28 PM »
Tim:

I had only 1 problem with my Lyman 1200DPS..and that was with the key pad dying on me..I have never had a stuck kernal of any powder in mine that couldn't be removed by the brush or gentle blowing on the sides..

The RCBS is a pretty good one too..from the article..but I'm mot going to second guess myself over my purchase namely because my Lyman is on my bench and I'm happy with the results it gives. Powder clean-up or changing the powder isn't that difficult to do provided you follow the directions..and I'm not loading hundreds of rounds in an hour to be concerned over a 11 second increase in speed.With the memory of the Lyman as compared to the RCBS is a bigger factor in my usage of it..Someone else may not feel so..

DPS Interface has separate memory for storing and loading up to 100 loads for the 1200 DPS II. Works with both Original 1200 DPS and the new 1200 DPS II models.

Transfer memory directly from your computer to your DPS Scale

Contains Digital Reloaders Log

Stores thousands of loads

It one feature that wasn't expounded upon in the reviews...nether was the fact that you can dispense powder faster if you choose to..all you have to do it hit the fast button..and it will dispense quicker If I am in a big hurry...I can dispense 45 grains of IMR4831...not the SC in 15 seconds using the fast button...I know...I just tested it 10 times doing it this way.....As too the long warm up cycle...this too can be bypassed..I know...I do this often..and I do check the weights to make sure they are dead on..Like I said...I'm quite satisfied with my unit..as I most likely would if I had opted for the RCBS scale as well...both are very good scale/dispensors..I'm quite fortunate to have gotten it discounted even further at where I buy my reloading supplies..

Just my $.02

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline hvacman

Re: lyman digital powder scale
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »
I just thought I'd let you guys know, on the advice of Quick I ordered the RCBS. I finally got aroung to really using it today since it's to darn hot to work outside. The unit works great. Fast and accurate. I doubt I'll use all the memory features but for loading rifle ammo fast it works great