Author Topic: Ruger security 6 vs GP100 4" stainless  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Coalminer7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger security 6 vs GP100 4" stainless
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:02 AM »
Found a security 6 / 4 " stainless says never fired for $329.00 plus 6% tax.

Is this a good price?  Gun may have been shot, barrel is slightly dirty.

Is the GP100 a better firearm, what is the difference?

That security 6 feels good, but am I getting ripped, other local dealers say $329.00 is high.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ruger security 6 vs GP100 4" stainless
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
Phewwww, $329...Seems pretty expensive to me since I have 2 of them and never paid over $200.  That has been a few years ago, but I don't think they have increased that much...BCB

Offline PaulS

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »
Well, I have a six inch Security-Six and I wouldn't sell it for less than $500 - and mine has had over 30000 rounds fired through it.
My gun is still a rock solid, tight locking pistol that is more accurate today than it was when I was using it in competition shooting steel chicken, pigs, turkeys and rams with it. It has out-shot and out-lasted a 9mm and a 45 Colt combat commander. I don't know what it would cost to duplicate  -  or if any of the present guns on the market could equal it - so I am going to hang on to it until I die and pass it on to my daughter.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline musicman10_1

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »
Have not used the Security Six by I love my Ruger GP100 4" stainless.  Just a wonderful gun. 
John

Guns & Guitars

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
The way the price of handguns are going up, I'd think a like new Security Six for that price is a good deal. It's as tough as any Ruger, and it will be a bit lighter than the GP100. You can't go wrong with either gun, but I'd jump on that deal if you want a good .357 revolver. I paid $350 for a S&W 57 that was showing a bit of muzzle wear, but was otherwise in great shape. I guess it depends on how much you like the gun. (Get it!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:41:19 PM »
The GP100 is supposed to be an improvement over the security 6. But the security 6 was nearly perfect anyway. I'd go with the stainless 6. Just because they don't make them anymore.

Offline arky65

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:19:08 AM »
 I own both although my gp is a 4 inch. The Gp  is more accurate than any of my Security Six's but it had been worked over by a good pistol smith before i acquried. I like the feel of the 4" Security Six better than the 4"GP but that is a personal thing.  the 6" Security Six I have is  nearly as accurate as the 4"GP.

I have been slowly building a collection of Security Six's over the past 10 years. The price on these rugged revolvers has been steadily going up. Prices vary from region to region. I have found the best prices come from the North East, and the highest prices or in the midwest.

I would do my best to get it for less,  but i would pay $329.00 + tax if it is in  like new condition, just because I do not have a stainless steel Securit Six6 in my collection.

Ask the other local dealers what they would sell you an as  new 6" Stainless steel Security Six for if they had one. Do any of the other dealers have any Security Sixs for sale, and if so what are they asking for them.

arky65