Author Topic: New to Handguns and Need Advice  (Read 762 times)

Offline Mark1

• Trade Count: (1)
New to Handguns and Need Advice
« on: June 27, 2006, 05:25:57 PM »
I just found this forum and expect to spend a lot of time reading. I'm new to handguns and want to start handgun hunting whitetail. I need to learn to shoot and was considering buying a Contender with a 22 barrel to become profecient with and then buy a 7-30 Waters barrel to hunt with. I originally wanted to go with the 44 mag but have been told the 44 in a Contender kicks like a mule. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Offline jimann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Good Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »
Hi
It sounds like a good idea to me. You might check your states hunting regulations. I think some need a straight wall case, or a power range. Shoot the 22, enjoy it and you will find another barrel. And down the line some where you will wonder "Where did all these barrels come from?"
jim

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:06:18 PM »
The 7X30 Waters is a great cartridge, but don't necessarily pass on the .44 for recoil.  I have a 10" .44 and recoil isn't bad at all.  I do have Pachmayer  grips on it and have had for 15 years.  Mine isn't punishing to shoot at all even with 315 gr. cast bullets at 1325  fps.  The .44 has a lot of power for most hunting ranges, and reloading is easier than for the Waters in my opinion.

Offline Mark1

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I was originally going to get a .44 revolver but I guess that's not the best way to learn to shoot a handgun. A .22 revolver was my next idea with a .44 following for deer season. That's the more expensive road to go. I figure with the Contender I can have it all and then still expand my collection.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 12:50:39 PM »
Mark 

First of all....welcome to Graybeard Outdoors.  Your idea of a 22 barrel for practice and a deer caliber barrel for hunting is very good reasoning.

I started with a 44 Mag 10" TC for deer hunting and it's not a bad choice, but yes it does kick.  I've traded off my 44 Mag and now I use a 357 Maximum.  It's very effective and is a bit more comfortable to shoot.  I have a 10" 22 Magnum barrel for practice.  Squirrel hunting with the 22 Mag is a great way to prep for deer. 

I like 2X Nikon scopes on my hunting guns.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Mark1

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »
I ordered a stainless G2 today with a .22 match barrel. The dealer didn't have any in stock and didn't know they came in ss. Possibly the biggest TC dealer in NY and they told me "we do this everyday and they don't make them. He brought me a 2006 catalog to show me and as he was going through it he  said, oops. I asked if "oops" meant they would be more than happy to order one for me. :lol:

Offline markc

Hey
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 02:45:47 AM »
Welcome to GB Outdoors!   Don't over look the old 30-30 barrell.  I would recommend getting some of the Pachmayer Decelerator grips for it, but those barrells can be found used at most pawn shops, ammo is plentiful and the new Hornady pointed ammo in 30-30 should make it quite a nice whitetail handgun out to some long distances.   Good luck.
markc

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 04:48:10 AM »
Can you get Pachmayer Decelerators for a G2?  Last time I checked they weren't being made.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:44:29 AM »
If you go with 14" barrels, I think you will be pleased with the recoil or lack thereof. Sure the 44mag and 7-30 have much more recoil than the 22, but it does not take many shots to learn how to hold and handle the recoil.

My first two contender barrels were the 22 hornet and the 44 mag. Lot of difference but I became proficient with both. The 7-30 Waters has become my favorite barrel, next to my 6mm-223. Recoil is very managable.

My first 44mag had a 10" barrel and full house loads were not pleasant at all to shoot. When I went to the 14" barrels, it made a lot of difference and recoil was not nearly as punishing.

Any of the calibers you listed will be a good choice. Have fun!

And Good Shooting,

HL

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
Re: New to Handguns and Need Advice
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 02:44:04 AM »
You'll like Contender's
I think that the 7-30 is a great round but the factory round is sometimes hard to find If you reload your fine if not I would look at alternatives ,,Maybe the 30-30
good luck

Offline markc

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:40:03 AM »
Kieth L, good question. I shoot the old style Contender, so I don't kow if the Pachmayer Decelerator fits the G@ or not.  I can say from my experience that it made a world of difference for my over the original TC grips..
markc

Offline Mark1

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:20:41 AM »
I just checked Lyman's website and the forend fits G2's but not the grips. Maybe sometime soon in the future.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »
When you shoot the heavier calibers, you will probably discover that you may need to hold differntly. My .223 can be held any old way. My 7-30 requires that I keep track of where my fingers are. My .45 Win mag is more demanding. I still find that once you find a good hold, pistol recoil is easier to deal with than rifle recoil.

good luck,

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Mark1

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »
Thanks everyone. I picked it up last week and loving it. I got a 22 match barrel on it and next up is to stat collecting others.