Author Topic: Breach Loaders  (Read 5427 times)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Breach Loaders
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 04:16:41 AM »
Shells are lead ,have never tried zinc.With about 2,000lb of lead stock piled up it will be awhile before i need to try something else. When I get to the 3in guns may have to switch.

Offline Thorn

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2006, 11:54:09 AM »
Moose, have you had any problems with the bolt on your plug bending after numerous firings ? Im asking because they usually use a mushroom head. Im hoping the simply overlooked a simpler solution as apposed to having tried it and found problems with the design.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
I have shot it many times with no problems at all. Very happy with it!If you taper the powder chamber and lube the plug with cooking oil, it will eject itself.I have 2deg. total taper (1deg. per side) and I can pull it out with my fingers. 

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2006, 01:16:14 PM »
Here is a old target I shot, at 180 yards. 8 rounds,6 hits .I increased the powder charge untell it went through clean.Gives you a idea of the punch a 40mm black powder cannon has.The target is a 1/4 in thick steel plate.The shell is the one that made the round hole.                                                                                                                                                                              

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Here is the post sight I use on my 40mm breach loader.It fits in a tapered socket in the barrel and comes out with a 1/4 twist.