Author Topic: Infrared Game Finder  (Read 922 times)

Offline alanaj

• Trade Count: (0)
Infrared Game Finder
« on: September 23, 2006, 05:56:48 AM »
Looking for feedback on infrared game finders to retrieve downed deer.  Are these devices worth the money and if so, what brand and model?

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated
alanaj

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Infrared Game Finder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:28:59 PM »
What's wrong with a blood trail?
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:54:38 AM »
What's wrong with a blood trail?

Some times there is none.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:02:26 PM »
I had a friend in our club buy one.  We spent several trips (on shot deer) trying to use it and never got anything worth paying for it.  Thing is, I work for a power company and the electrical engineers I work with use a highly sensitive infrared camera to find hotspots on troubled power lines.  The camera is $80,000 bucks!!  That is just for the camera body.  The lens is another $30,000 bucks!

I talked to one of the engineers about the camera and he told me in order to “see” differences in just one degree at a distance of 15 feet you would have to have such a camera to detect the difference.

So, I would say the bottom line is the game tracker concept is total bunk unless you have a 100 grand burning a hole in your pocket.

I would save the money and get a good Coleman lantern and a bright flashlight.  I have trailed and found many a deer with a good old Coleman lantern.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."