Author Topic: Relative Noise  (Read 473 times)

Offline vern

• Trade Count: (0)
Relative Noise
« on: July 28, 2006, 01:08:19 AM »
I bought a 75 caliber mountain howitzer from Brooks (really nice folks) and since I am a cannon virgin I had some questions as to the relative noise it will make.  Last fourth of July, a friend of mine told me that someone lit off a cannon firing an 8 guage blank shotgun shell and it was the loudest thing they had ever experienced.  How does the report of an 8 guage shotgun blank compare to a cannon of this size?  Also, what kind of powder do they use in blank shotgun shells and how much? 

thanks to all.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Relative Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:37:14 AM »
The sound produced by different cannons varies from cannon to cannon.  Each has it's own signature or voice.

3/4 bore and 8 ga are close to the same diameter - then there is barrel length.  Then comes loading, windage, size of touch-hole - which all affect pressure.  Where you shoot will also affect the perception of the sound, as will atmospheric conditions.

Doing a side-by-side test is about the best way of resolving the question of which is louder.

Don't get caught by the temptation of getting it a little louder by adding more or faster powder, there are safe limits.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)