Author Topic: Plesent Surprise  (Read 376 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Plesent Surprise
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:33:11 AM »
Went to the range yesterday.  Took the wife to let her shoot some of her pistols.  After we finished on the pistol range we moved to the rifle range.  Three of the clay targets I had been shooting at last week when my rings broke on my Weatherby were still lying on the bank at the back of the range 337 yards away.  After shooting at paper targets at 100 yards we decided to quite and pack it up.  Just for the heck of it fired several shots with a .223 at the targets on the bank.  Did not even get close, off by at least 6 to 8 inches.  Ah what the heck, sat down with the .17HMR H&R Sportster with a BSA Sweet 17 scope.  Adjusted the paralex to 300 yards, turned the range adjustment to 300 yards,  held about 2" high to compensate for the additional 37 yards, took the shot.  Busted the target!  Got over confident took a second shot and missed.  Settled down and tried a third shot connected and busted a second target.  First time I have tried to shoot beyond 100 yards with the .17HMR.  Had wondered if the range markings would be accurate of not, well I got my answer.  Really surprised at how well the .17HMR shoots.  Far more accurate than any of my .223s, with better range.  Hit two out of three at 337 yards, not bad for a little .17 cal with a 17gr speer TNT bullet.  I was surprised.  The wife had to try, I told her where to hold.  Darned if she did not bust the third one.  She likes the .17HMR, may be getting close to losing another gun to her vault.  That's OK, she is good to me and will let me borrow it, just like she lets me borrow the .35 Whelen.   

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.