Author Topic: WGRS-H&R on a Pardner  (Read 686 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
WGRS-H&R on a Pardner
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:47:46 AM »
Has anyone mounted one of these on a Pardner receiver   What type of front sights could be used.  Williams says the hole spacing for the WGRS is 1".  Is the receiver long enough between the hammer and breech or will the WGRS have to be mounted on the barrel?  Is there enough adjustment on the WGRS to allow use of a fiber optic bead front sight?

This is what I am thinking about for my short barrel 12ga smoothbore.  Any suggestions or experiences to share about this will be appreciated.  Thanks for the help.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: WGRS-H&R on a Pardner
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:39:46 AM »
Rich, I know a scope base can be installed on some of the pardner barrels, since the WGRS uses the rear 2 base holes, the WGRS will work too, I have a 20ga pardner, there's plenty of meat for it. The problem will be the front sight, will need to be sweated on I think. Check out the Peep and Firesight link in the Centerfire FAQ, the Williams shotgun shorty ramps can be sweated or screwed on, I spose the bead hole could be enlarged to 6-48 if it isn't already that size, but not deepened any, dunno if it would hold well without sweating, there wouldn't be much thread engagement.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:33:54 AM »
Cookieman,

No way, on mounting the WGRS-H&R on the RECEIVER. There is only about 3/8" of parallel surface and it would have to be a sight with vertical adjustment for elevation, no way for a ramp type. However, you could have the barrel drilled and tapped for the WGRS like Quick said or find a side mount receiver sight that would fit between the hammer and barrel.

You could also mount the front Fire-Sight backwards using the original screw hole in the barrel. You would have to do a small modification by grinding the small ramped portion about 1/8"-1/4" to keep it from sticking out past your crown. The Fire-Sight only uses one screw anyways, and relies on the radius of the base to keep it from moving and I have never had a problem with mine. I use blue Loc-Tite under all my bases and sights which helps keep them solid. If your barrel has been cut down, you could drill and tap further back and mount the front sight without any mods.

If you deceide to order the front Fire-Sight and the WGRS (these two work great together on my Huntsman shooting 460 grain conicals), order them from H&R/NEF for quite a savings. My WGRS was only $18, front Fire-Sight $4.95 last year. You might have to pay $1.25 for the mounting screw. You should be able to buy both sights with shipping included for under $30, can't beat that.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  That's quite a savings goin' thru H&R for the WGRS and the Firesight,  I didn't know they sold those. 
The reason I ask about receiver mounting is just in case the barrel is too thin to get D&T'd.  Does H&R also sell the side mount rear sights?
Also, YES, this would be on a cut down barrel.
I will have to have the machine work done by an experienced person or gunsmith as I really don't have a clue how to index the hole for the sights so they line up.  Also, I don't have a drill press.  I suppose the cost for machining will just about be the amount I will save on the sights by getting them from H&R.  Thanks for all the input, guys.  As always, you came through!!
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"