Author Topic: What are the odds?  (Read 426 times)

Offline KF6GUB

• Trade Count: (0)
What are the odds?
« on: July 21, 2006, 11:39:29 AM »
I saw an Alaska hunting show on one of the outdoor channels this past week.  The hunter shot a boar(?) grizzly/brown bear, which went down promptly.  From over the rise into view came a sow and her large cub.  She immediately charged from a distance which looked to be at least a hundred yards away.  The guide shot her (in the head) at about 10 to 15 yards,  and she wheeled and dropped dead after running again some distance towards her cub, who didn't charge.

I was amazed the guide was able to dispatch that running bear with one shot even though the bear was running directly at him.   It looked like a large caliber, bolt rifle that the guide used.  It had no scope.   I surmised that I would have been eaten.  No rifle, no handgun would have saved me; I would have missed.  The videotographer had the presence to remain motionless and continue to tape the event.  Wow!!! 

I'm rethinking the attributes of the shotgun.  Your comments, please.  thx

Jim

Offline TreyAzagthoth

• Avid Poster
Re: What are the odds?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:42:06 AM »
well that guide does that for a living, and is most likely a Professional Hunter, he has been in this situation before I'm sure. Just takes experience I guess.
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?"
Well, to tell the truth I shoot a Springfield XD so it doesnt really matter.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »
Could be tough to get much experience in that line of work!!!!...BCB

Offline TreyAzagthoth

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
well i'm sure they've had a few charge them before, and i'm sure they've killed quite a few bears in their time and know about how fast they can run so they know how to lead them etc, but the experience with them being bear guides they wont get as shaky when something like that happens(me i'd run like a girl ;D) but if you know how to lead a bullet and know how to stand your ground when your life is in danger i guess it happens more than we think.
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?"
Well, to tell the truth I shoot a Springfield XD so it doesnt really matter.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 07:11:07 AM »
Yeah, crertain jobs just flat REQUIRE coolness under "adverse" conditions. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 10:18:59 PM »
I took out a charging squirrel once. He said some pretty nasty things about me, too, before he came at me. But I sat there in my blind like a man, and with a cool and steady hand, blasted his little butt into tree rat heaven.

Sorry, no bears in this neck of the woods.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline PaulS

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:03 PM »
A friend of mine who left Alaska and came down this way to run a gun store with his wife told me about why he left Alaska as a guide. He had a reputation for being able to shoot a running bear (brown bear) in the eye when it was charging. He had to do it more than once as a matter of his job. He never thought anything of it until the last hunt he guided for. The bear charged after the client's shot and he fired and dropped the bear. He walked up and slit the bears throat.
After that he noticed the scraped fur and hide on the bear's skull above the right eye. His magnum had missed its mark and only knocked the bear out. If that bear had woke up they would never have been found.
That was his last hunt.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.