Author Topic: Buffalo Classic/ Target model sight question  (Read 647 times)

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Buffalo Classic/ Target model sight question
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:51:50 AM »
Hi guys,
    A quick question if you don't mind. I was at the H&R web site and noticed that they offer the Williams "FP" rear target sights as an after market sight now. I have heard in the past that some would have liked more elevation with the factory Williams ramp sight, would anyone know if the FP would offer the added elevation needed? I'm on my way up to Maine one day this week and have located one of the 38-55 target models there. I have always like the Buffalo/ Target model and almost bought one a few months ago, but after reading some of the posts here at the forum I held off [relating to chamber / bore sizes and reloading.]
   Any help or recomendations of "ANY KIND" would be of great help. And no I guess this wasn't a quick question after all. Thanks much,  Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic/ Target model sight question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »
The FP sight in combination with the .404" tall 17A front sight is good for close to 500yds with the right bullet, Bernie(Dodd3) has used it on his BC. The rifle comes with a .584" tall 17A front sight which wasn't even good for 50 yds with the WGRS that came on my BC, the .404" on the other hand, with the FP, POI is about an 1"-1½" above POA at 100yds in the lowest position, depending on bullet weight.

The farthest I've shot my .45-120 BC with the FP sight is 200yds, that was up 8 or 10 clicks, can't remember for sure, with 525gr Beartooth Piledrivers at about 1700fps.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:13:02 PM »
Quickdtoo,
   Thanks for the quick responce!!! Bernnie had the "FP" rear sight I was Talking about. I have one on a 94 Winchester and really like it. I guess I have alot of reading ahead of me, there is some much info here on the forum it can be over whelming,but you gave me the info I needed and pointed me in the right direction, thanks again...Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »
You're welcome, that's what we're all here for, to share and learn!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline supratriumph

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:53:35 PM »
I have the "FP" sights on a target model, a BC and a Marlin 1895 .45-70 and am quite pleased with them all.  In fact, my wife made me put a 17A sight on the front of the Marlin so it would be the same as her target model.  Yes, I have a wife that shoots as much as me, so I get to buy twice as many guns!!