Author Topic: Shooting a master lock  (Read 1521 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Shooting a master lock
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
Here's  an article with pictures by a guy who used pistols, rifles, and a shotgun to test the old master lock claim......

Seems a shotgun slug worked best for him.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:25:55 AM »
Very neat, it's something I always wondered and now I don't have to wonder anymore. Thanks Victorcharlie
Man them deer we shoot at DON'T have a chance

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:10:23 AM »
Dunno about shooting them but opening a Master Lock without the key is dead simple. I didn't believe it until Matt showed me the trick. A hammer is all that's needed. I won't go into the details of it here as most of the locks I use are Master locks. But trust me anyone who owns a hammer and knows the secret can open a master lock without the key just about as fast as with it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

Shooting a master lock
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:17:59 AM »
The bottomline is that locks only work with honest people.  I have a hard gun case for travel.  It takes three locks.  It would not take long to get by the locks.  If you ever notice the ranch gates that have chains and locks.  The lock is always the weak link in the system.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline biglmbass

Shooting a master lock
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:38:57 AM »
Test proved two things.  Cubic inches does matter, and retirement really is grand.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 11:15:24 AM »
I once tried to blow a Master lock off a gate chain since the key was long lost. Tried a 9mm and a .45 with the same results as the test showed. However; a 180 gr Rem core-lokt out of my 30-06 totally obliterated it. Could not find a single piece of it except the hasp.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 05:52:50 AM »
Locks are like laws; they are only pertinent to honest people!  Criminals will always get around them!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 01:22:02 PM »
some idiot must have felt it was "cute" to put his Master lock through the chain on my gate.  i found i was "locked out" at 0430 am on the way in to hunt.  it was no match for my winchester 30-30 at point blank range.  i keep that lock as a sweet reminder to this day.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Dunno about shooting them but opening a Master Lock without the key is dead simple. I didn't believe it until Matt showed me the trick. A hammer is all that's needed. I won't go into the details of it here as most of the locks I use are Master locks. But trust me anyone who owns a hammer and knows the secret can open a master lock without the key just about as fast as with it.

When I drove for Monfort Transportation years ago, our safty man was a locksmith. Yea, I know how to do it. Used to go into the Bronks and the dubious people there could pull a lock off so fast you wouldn't believe it. The best lock on a refer door was a double nutted 3/8ths x 1 " bolt! We called it the "Hunt's Point Special".
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
Shooting a master lock
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
neat post.and an honest one.
surpised no one has metioned seeing the ad for weatherby rifles.its just like the master lock commercial except no talking.until the end.you just watch a guy hang the lock down range and come back to the bench and load a 300 weatherby round into the rifle, take aim and fire.the lock vaporises.and the speaker says "Weatherby,The most powerful rifles in the world"
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline Dusty Miller

Shooting a master lock
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »
That 12 ga. slug looks like the right medicine for that unwelcome guest who kicks in your door at 3:00 AM.  Especially if he's wearing a "bullet proof" vest.  That test makes me believe I want a 10 ga. w/slugs in a dbl barrel gun for traipsing thru the backwoods of Alaska!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline handyman06

Re: Shooting a master lock
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »
i think they're hardened so you can't just hacksaw through them, but there so hard the clasp shatters really easy.