Author Topic: 480 Ruger  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
480 Ruger
« on: March 10, 2003, 03:42:29 AM »
I put this in the cast forum because I want thoughts from reloaders of 480 Ruger over just shooters.   I will be shooting cast bullets if I purchase a 480.

I looked at three 480's this weekend.  Magumun Research, Ruger Super Red Hawk and the Taurus Raging Bull.

Forget the cost.  Of these three what is preference and way.  To me the Super RedHawk looked a little lacking in the frame area where the cyclinder crane swings into.  I liked the double lock up of the Tauras and this same area looked a little heavier.  The Mag. Research looked like a rea heavy duty shooter.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Paul H

• Avid Poster
480 Ruger
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 07:57:27 AM »
I've had a SRH 480 for about 1 1/2 years now, with several thousand rounds through it.  The frame is very strong, I know a few foolish soles have had their 480's re-chambered to 475 linebaugh, and yet they haven't blow them up yet.  The SRH does lock up in the front of the cylinder as well as the rear.  Mine was never bank vault tight, but scoped off the bench it'll print 1" @ 50 yds with worked up loads.  I've shot numerous different styles of cast bullets through mine, and all do quite well.

The only Raging Bull I've ever handled was a 454, and to me it was bulky and I didn't like having two releases on the cylinder.  The only Mag research guns I've seen are the 45-70 monstrosities.

The best bet would be if you could find some owners of the various guns and test fire them.  A buddy had a 480 SRH, and I wanted one as soon as I shot it.  For some reason I'm able to shoot the SRH much better then a single action.  I have absolutely no complaints about the SRH.

Here is a link to my cast bullet loads: http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000222

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
480 Ruger
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 08:53:55 AM »
I love my Super Redhawk.  I have the 7 1/2" barrel.  I think that this grip fits better than the Taurus for my hand.  You will love the way you can hand load this cartridge.  I agree with Paul H opinion.  I can shoot this better than my single action Bisley too.  Paul H loads are great to check out.  I think the 7 1/2" balances better than the 9 1/2" and is easier to carry.  Alot of people don't under stand the 480.  It can be a powerhouse or a pussy cat with hand loading.  I love the choice for heavy bullets weights.  It starts where the 44 stops  

My favorite bullet is the 380 grain weight.  I have loaded 325 jacketed and got impressive velocities like the speer data.  

Paul H I have some Pachmayr grips coming for mine.  I will let you know how they perform vs the factory grips.

Have fun

Hcliff

Offline redhawk44p

• Avid Poster
480 Ruger
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 01:12:44 PM »
My son has the 480 Ruger and he likes it so well he bought www.ruger480.com and is building a website dedicated to the gun. My son cast a big 410 Lee LFN bullet for the 480 and it is super accurate.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
480 Ruger
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 11:47:19 PM »
my choice in this order are
Ruger
Tarus
mr
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
480 Ruger
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 05:37:17 PM »
Taurus RB hands down. The RB in either .454 Casull or .480 with max loads kicks about like a SRH in .44 mag. Nothing tames the big ones like the RB. Sure it is big and heavy. So is the SRH. But what it does to recoil you'll love.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!