Author Topic: 45/70 Handi or Buffalo Classic  (Read 799 times)

Offline acearch72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45/70 Handi or Buffalo Classic
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
OK, I have decided on getting a 45/70 for primitive weapons hunting this year instead of Black Powder.  The 45/70 in a replica rifle is allowed for primitive weapon hunting in Mississippi where I hunt.  The delimma that I am fighting is should I get the HandiRifle version or the Buffalo Classic.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments from the experts on these guns.  I have always been a 7mm mag guy, so this is all new to me.

I would think that the BC would probably be better at longer ranges with the 32" barrel, but that's a prettly long barrel to tote around.  I hunt over sweet potato fields, so long range opportunites are common.

From some of you 45/70 users, what kind of accuracy do you get and what kind of distance do you limit your shots to?

Also have any of you tried the new Hornady LeverRevolution loads?  They seem to offer some much improved ballistics.  I saw them on a show in a 30/30 Marlin lever gun hunting antelopes in Wyoming.  Very impressive...

http://hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDlv_03.html

I would think that maybe with the BC and the Hornady loads you might have a legitimate 250yd gun.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45/70 Handi or Buffalo Classic
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
Look down the page, there are a few threads related to BC accuracy.  IIRC, you can scope your primitive weapons, if so, that would be the way to go, the 22" barreled Handi .45-70 as well as the BC, can be loaded to perform at 250yds plus, but be prepared for some extreme recoil, considerably more than a 7mm mag. :o

Another long range(relatively!) consideration would be the .38-55 Target.

Tim

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/pdf/Final/2005/Primitive%20Weapons.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »
Scopes are legal in Mississippi so I plan to add a scope.  I don't handload, so I will be limited to off the shelf loads.  I would think that 250yds would be the absolute maximum that i would consider a shot, and that would be dependant on range results before the season.  I just want to be sure that I make the choice that would give me the best possibility of making a shot this long without reservations about success.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
There's only one factory load that I would use for 250yd work in the .45-70, the Buffalo Bore 300gr loads, any others would have too much drop at that range to be practical, IMO.

Tim

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R4570L
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline IC Cowboy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
I like you am in Mississippi, and faced the same dilemma last year. Which to choose? I bought the Buffalo Classic, beautiful Walnut stock and case colored receiver, however for long distance scouting walking and a gun to be less concerned about scracthing and the elements and lighter and easiness of getting in and  out and up and down climbing treestands the Handi would be the better choice, yes you will sacrifice 10" of barrel length (that can be quite cumbersome) and possibly lose some accuracy. I am speaking from my own experience and have not shot 1 against the other but you are correct in assuming that 32" barrel is a bit awkward. But I still like th B.C. but have also ordered the Ultra Hunter 450Marlin  22" barrel and will probably retire the B.C. to target and cowboy shooting with open sights. Hope this may help you some.

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:35:56 PM »
IC Cowboy,

sort of seems like with that 32" barrel you would be like a lightning rod in a tree stand. 

I will probably get the Handi.........

Offline Snowshoe

• Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
I had the Handi in .45-70 and found it very accurate. I could hit targets past 300 yards with little problem. It tends to punish the shoulder though. I had to give it up after shoulder surgery, but I do miss the knock down power.
Snowshoe

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
From some of you 45/70 users, what kind of accuracy do you get and what kind of distance do you limit your shots to?
Ace - the BC only weighs 8 pounds, so don't worry about weight dragging it around in the woods.

And yes, they are accurate.  The barrels are made by Green Mountain.  Last summer, I put 5 holes in a NRA 600yd paper target using a custom BP 500gr bullet over 57gr volume weight of H777.  It grouped 7" x 3 1/4" in the 7 ring.  Three of the 5 holes were a 2 1/4" group.  Had 2 witnesses and still trying to repeat that group.  Last week, using the same recipe, put 20 rounds in a group a little bigger than a paper plate.

Normally, it will shoot 12 - 18" groups at 600yds using BP, vernier sights and depending on how good I'm reading the wind

This Fall, am going to take it to the Ridgeway, PA 1000yd range and she how  ;D 'El Cheapo'  ;D does 
Regards
John Boy