Author Topic: 38-55  (Read 545 times)

Offline zouave

• Trade Count: (0)
38-55
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:19 PM »
I just picked up a marlin 93 in 38-55 made around 1896 and slugged the bore, and find it's .382. The largest cast bullets I have found so far are .379. My question is will they stabilize in this bore? I plan to reload with black powder. Has anyone had experence with this? Thanks for any help.

zouave

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 38-55
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »
If you make a chamber cast you will likely find out that a cartridge with a bullet that big seated in it won't chamber anyway.  With that rifle, you pretty much have two choices as to what bullets to use. Either use .379 or whatever will safely chamber, cast out of 20:1 lead/tin or softer and of course loaded with black powder. It will slug up and seal the bore as long as it's soft enough and doesnt have any antimony in it. Or you can use pure lead or close to it paper patched bullets, set up to bore diameter or just a hair above. Again, BP only. Conventional groove size lubricated cast bullets, made hard, are not going to work in this fine old rifle. If you feed it what it was designed for, you will have good results. Otherwise you're going to have a tough time making it work.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."